• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Medical Training has always bored me to tears that being said you guys spent a lot of tax money on me.
    We were trained by senior Medics,DR’s,PA’s we had to run IV’s on each other do the nasal airways on each other ect.
    This training was intergrated into all the other training never knew when you might have to do needle decompression on a dummy ect.
    The formal courses were 40 to 80 hours I would think that would cost some big$$ in the civilian world?
    I guess what am asking is what level of training would be required for just you average guy without being a lawsuit nightmare?
    Joniki brought up a good point !

BTW if I have a sucking chest wound any of you have my permission to treat it!

won't need to dart you then, will we?

In any case, if you believe the gear useful, bring it along. Someone like Brad69 or Shibumiseeker might come along and be able to utilize the gear. Better than me hauling the med ruck along with all my own gear? You carrying the ruck for me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I would think Joe Citizen inserting King airways and doing pleural decompression's could cost someone dearly in a law suit. Hemostatic gauze and powders out date rather quickly (we do not carry them on an ambulance).

Some common sense and a little innovation goes a long way.

It really depends and is largely an untested area of the Goood Samaritan laws. If I, as a trained and certified professional, go beyond my training and licensure, I am wide open for liability. But a civilian who once took a class, or taught themselves, isn't held to the same standard and is more of a grey area that is likely to be tested in court if there is a negative outcome. The only reason I mentioned NVAs is because something like a King is easier to learn amd harder to screw up.

To the person who later in the thread indicated that a needle decomp is better than the collapsed lung, or as risk free as starting an IV: the risks of puncturing the heart and causing pericardial tamponade, or hitting one of the arteries in the outer chest and causing more bleeding into the pleural space is significant. It is very rare that a needle decomp is going to make that critical few minutes difference and the risk of screwing it up is higher. Moreover, recognizing the need for needle decomp is trickier than it seems. Paramedics who are trained extensively in it more often than not do it when it is not required. Hence, why I spoke up.

I'm all for people getting training and saving lives, but folks need to be aware than while some things are pretty simple and effective, other things are not nearly as easy or safe as it seems when watching a youtube video of a trained professional doing them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It really depends and is largely an untested area of the Goood Samaritan laws. If I, as a trained and certified professional, go beyond my training and licensure, I am wide open for liability. But a civilian who once took a class, or taught themselves, isn't held to the same standard and is more of a grey area that is likely to be tested in court if there is a negative outcome. The only reason I mentioned NVAs is because something like a King is easier to learn amd harder to screw up.

To the person who later in the thread indicated that a needle decomp is better than the collapsed lung, or as risk free as starting an IV: the risks of puncturing the heart and causing pericardial tamponade, or hitting one of the arteries in the outer chest and causing more bleeding into the pleural space is significant. It is very rare that a needle decomp is going to make that critical few minutes difference and the risk of screwing it up is higher. Moreover, recognizing the need for needle decomp is trickier than it seems. Paramedics who are trained extensively in it more often than not do it when it is not required. Hence, why I spoke up.

I'm all for people getting training and saving lives, but folks need to be aware than while some things are pretty simple and effective, other things are not nearly as easy or safe as it seems when watching a youtube video of a trained professional doing them.

:+1:

If you live in America in a city where emergency medical services are working properly you will not need to dart someone at the scene, ever.
    Even a surgeon who happens to witness someone with a tension pneumothorax at the mall will want to transport the patient to the nearest ER where they can use X-rays to really make sure it's a pneumothorax.

Blindly stabbing someone with a needle when you're 4 to 6 minutes away from the nearest hospital is stupid and dangerous.

Even overseas in the field a corpsman will most likely not perform a decompression unless they can listen to lung sounds.
    I'm not sure how many non-EMS folks carry a stethoscope with their needle.

Soldiers carry a decompression needle in their IFAK because there might not be any hospital in the country where they are deployed.
    Or the nearest field hospital is hours away.

As a civilian in the US a tension pneummothorax is not as life threatening as if it happened on top of an Afghan mountain.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You guys are no fun, some of us just wanna stab needles into chests, no matter the symptoms/wounds? What better practice than a live target? That’s a nasty cough you got there, here, lemme try this chest dart! Apply purple liberally.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally do not have the training to use a needle, except for my insulin, so I do not have or want one. I do have chest seals in my EDC bag. My first training on sucking chest wounds was totally directed to improvised methods, so I feel I have that covered.

Tourniquets and pressure bandages I have and know how to apply. Improvising these from available materials is a no brainer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Please look for an exit wound first don’t want you to go through all that work for nothing!

Well said.

So, what you're suggesting is, that actually assessing the person to check for what is wrong with them is actually a good thing? Who knew?

And practicing starting IVs on your buddies is just good, clean fun. Especially when they forget to apply pressure when they're withdrawing the needle from the catheter part. Seeing your own blood pouring out is cool!! Well, for a short time, anyway.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And practicing starting IVs on your buddies is just good, clean fun. Especially when they forget to apply pressure when they're withdrawing the needle from the catheter part. Seeing your own blood pouring out is cool!! Well, for a short time, anyway.

I was at a restaurant the other day when someone asked if anyone knew CPR. I said that I did, and the rest of the alphabet. Everyone laughed, well except this one guy.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

Agreed...

There is a thing called practicing medicine without a license.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was at a restaurant the other day when someone asked if anyone knew CPR. I said that I did, and the rest of the alphabet. Everyone laughed, well except this one guy.

I'm usually that guy, but on purpose in order to create an awkward moment that I can laugh about later.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    :+1:

If you live in America in a city where emergency medical services are working properly you will not need to dart someone at the scene, ever.
    Even a surgeon who happens to witness someone with a tension pneumothorax at the mall will want to transport the patient to the nearest ER where they can use X-rays to really make sure it's a pneumothorax.

Blindly stabbing someone with a needle when you're 4 to 6 minutes away from the nearest hospital is stupid and dangerous.

Even overseas in the field a corpsman will most likely not perform a decompression unless they can listen to lung sounds.
    I'm not sure how many non-EMS folks carry a stethoscope with their needle.

Soldiers carry a decompression needle in their IFAK because there might not be any hospital in the country where they are deployed.
    Or the nearest field hospital is hours away.

As a civilian in the US a tension pneummothorax is not as life threatening as if it happened on top of an Afghan mountain.

I tend to disagree. Any sort of change in pressure in the thorax can be seriously life threatening. Hemothorax or pneumo. All that stuff can shift pressure and cut off the airway quite easily. Typically they'll insert a chest tube, not needle decompression though. ;)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Dump the pressure dressings for more gauze to pack the wound with.

Before the crying starts, yes they have their place but if we are treating a gunshot wound or multiple, good luck with the pressure dressings. They rarely give you what you seek. Bullet holes never happen where you want them to for easy bandage and tournaquet application. Wanna stop that bleeding as best as possible and fast? Pack that sob

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I tend to disagree. Any sort of change in pressure in the thorax can be seriously life threatening. Hemothorax or pneumo. All that stuff can shift pressure and cut off the airway quite easily. Typically they'll insert a chest tube, not needle decompression though. ;)

I was just saying that a tension pneumothorax does not become life threatening as fast as severe bleeding for example.
    You have more time to treat it if you detect it early.
    Not like bleeding where you might just have 30 seconds to stop someone from bleeding to death.

That's still serious and life threatening but you usually have time to bring the patient to the ER.
    Some people with a collapsed lung can drive themselves to the ER and they can still breath with their second lung.

But anyway that's not something your regular non-medical professional is going to treat at the scene with a needle.

Like it has been said already if most jurisdictions it's considered practicing medicine without a licence whenever you introduce a foreign object past the skin (needle decompression, wound packing, guedel airway etc).

In most situation as a non-medical professional you want to stick to tourniquets, chest seals, direct pressure and CPR.And other non-invasive procedures.

Even off duty paramedics, who are therefore not operating under the direct supervision of a physician, might want to stick to basic non-invasive procedures.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    ?

You guys live in a combat zone?

I carry a j-frame and sometimes a 1911!!

I worked at a gun range for a few years, we needed bandaids every once in a while, if anything serious happened (never did) we were told to call 911, you know, professionals....?

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I kinda wonder, how anybody survived in Texas in 1880 ?!?

No one who lived in 1880 has survived ;) I do what you mean, ask anyone who grew up on a farm. Life can be dangerous even with no bad guys for miles.

Top Bottom