• lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    ?

You guys live in a combat zone?

I carry a j-frame and sometimes a 1911!!

I worked at a gun range for a few years, we needed bandaids every once in a while, if anything serious happened (never did) we were told to call 911, you know, professionals....?
    So why bother to carry a gun?! Just call the "professionals" :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ?

You guys live in a combat zone?

I carry a j-frame and sometimes a 1911!!

I worked at a gun range for a few years, we needed bandaids every once in a while, if anything serious happened (never did) we were told to call 911, you know, professionals....?

You can easily bleed to death before help arrives.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Nice comeback too. So you pick out one thing. Well done sir, we done :n00b:

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Seriously, the amount of training needed to utilize most of those things effectively is great.

When nearly half of "every gun owner" can't identify the "chamber" of their firearm.
    You can buy a gun, a car, a spectogramic accumulator, doesn't mean you can use it properly, or really even need it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dump the pressure dressings for more gauze to pack the wound with.

Before the crying starts, yes they have their place but if we are treating a gunshot wound or multiple, good luck with the pressure dressings. They rarely give you what you seek. Bullet holes never happen where you want them to for easy bandage and tournaquet application. Wanna stop that bleeding as best as possible and fast? Pack that sob

A few things . . .

Why do you suggest that it's an either/or situation? Why not just add some gauze if you aren't already carrying some or enough?

A gunshot wound is among the least likely injuries I'm going to sustain in terms of blood leaking out of me. I can't speak for others. Removing a piece of gear that is very useful in a variety of situations because it might not be useful for one specific application doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How do you apply pressure after you pack the wound if you don't have a hand to keep doing it? Like to yourself? An IBD might not work on every location on every body, but it's adaptable to enough of them to be worthy of inclusion in one's possessions.

Packing material is one of the easier things to improvise, much more so than a tool that someone can apply to their own wound with one hand that can apply a good deal of pressure. I have two big rolls of gauze in my backpack I take everywhere in the outside pouches with a SOFTT-W and a couple of IBDs, but if that's not enough there are a wide variety of things that will suffice for packing wounds that need it.

For regular people, hands, arms, legs, and heads get lacerated and punctured more frequently than torsos because they're sticking out. IBDs work great on those and packing is not likely to be needed since most of injuries will be compressible.

I've needed an IBD twice in the last 8 years for injuries I sustained. The first time I didn't have one available (it was in my truck) and I had to keep applying pressure with my hands and a handful of bandanas (kept adding them as they soaked through) and wait for help. The second time I did have an IBD, which I applied to my own leg, it worked well, and it allowed me to drive myself to the emergency room. I much preferred the situation when I had the IBD handy.

The people with whom I train (and have a lot of experience treating wounds) advocate IBDs as the core of a kit. Their collective experience and knowledge leads me to conclude that I want to carry IBDs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry a lot of stuff I can't use.
    Because this! I carry a dart, not for my use, but for someone with training if needed. Plus, it came with the IFAK I bought. No one here seriously said they carried one to use without training. Kind of a have and not need thing, just like my guns, knives, and spare magazines. As far as living in a war zone, Hendricks County is fairly safe, but I go into Marion County everyday, and in some places, war zones are safer. To each their own.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A few things . . .

Why do you suggest that it's an either/or situation? Why not just add some gauze if you aren't already carrying some or enough?

A gunshot wound is among the least likely injuries I'm going to sustain in terms of blood leaking out of me. I can't speak for others. Removing a piece of gear that is very useful in a variety of situations because it might not be useful for one specific application doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How do you apply pressure after you pack the wound if you don't have a hand to keep doing it? Like to yourself? An IBD might not work on every location on every body, but it's adaptable to enough of them to be worthy of inclusion in one's possessions.

Packing material is one of the easier things to improvise, much more so than a tool that someone can apply to their own wound with one hand that can apply a good deal of pressure. I have two big rolls of gauze in my backpack I take everywhere in the outside pouches with a SOFTT-W and a couple of IBDs, but if that's not enough there are a wide variety of things that will suffice for packing wounds that need it.

For regular people, hands, arms, legs, and heads get lacerated and punctured more frequently than torsos because they're sticking out. IBDs work great on those and packing is not likely to be needed since most of injuries will be compressible.

I've needed an IBD twice in the last 8 years for injuries I sustained. The first time I didn't have one available (it was in my truck) and I had to keep applying pressure with my hands and a handful of bandanas (kept adding them as they soaked through) and wait for help. The second time I did have an IBD, which I applied to my own leg, it worked well, and it allowed me to drive myself to the emergency room. I much preferred the situation when I had the IBD handy.

The people with whom I train (and have a lot of experience treating wounds) advocate IBDs as the core of a kit. Their collective experience and knowledge leads me to conclude that I want to carry IBDs.

Over the past few years we as prehospital providers have started using tourniquets and packing more often. If a wound is large enough to pack, stasis is achieved quicker. This also frees up a hand and is quicker to accomplish.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Lol

Are we turning this into a handgun capacity debate now?

Look, I'm just gonna stick to my original point

Saying that "every gun owner" needs this stuff is silly.

I'll leave it at that.

You guys can debate and rationalize with scenarios all you want.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am sorry for those of you that do not see the good in being prepared. The needle was pictured by a company that sells to first responders as well as the public. I believe it was a mistake to include it in an ad geared for the general public.

I would rather have FIRST AID options than deed to wait for first responders.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am sorry for those of you that do not see the good in being prepared. The needle was pictured by a company that sells to first responders as well as the public. I believe it was a mistake to include it in an ad geared for the general public.

I agree, even though I have a dart, I’m not gonna play chest cricket. Being prepared is seen by some as silly, just as prepared people see the unprepared as silly. My carrying IBD’s, Qwik Clot, Z-fold, etc. is what I feel prudent, just as prudent as the fire extinguishers in my Jeep, insurance on my home and cars, guns, knives, etc.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Needle decompression is not "first aid." First aid is something that a typical person who is not in the medical field can do, with the proper training.

Chest Decompression Needles: Vital kit or Tactical Talisman? | Active Response Training

I suppose I'm not prepared if the grocery store than I go to catches on fire, because I must admit to being a sheep who does not always carry my Nomex suit around with me.

:):

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Forget the Needle, What the heck, men?

No one here said to carry or use a needle. No one said the Needle is first aid. Several experienced people, trainers and professionals alike have said that the needle is not something the average gun owner should carry,need or use.

Why the heck do some of you keep going back to that.

Sorry I just figured it out. Some don't read past the OP they just see something they can knock and chime in.

Top Bottom