• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Do you think the guy was following you waiting for the right opportunity? Sounds strange to me, like a disgruntled former client or friend of a former client or hell maybe just some whacko who saw you in the paper or news who's obsessed with you. I'd be watching your 6 Kirk seriously. Seriously though good job.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's a shame you weren't able to give him your card. He'll need it sooner rather than later.

Maybe so. Patrol officer came by office to take report. Diagrammed it for him on whiteboard. Gave him witnesses and photo of suspect from the nice Carroll County lady.

Walmart, a box with cameras, will likely have video footage of my exit and his stalk of me, and then my skee-daddling out of there. (I just hope I did not wave/flap my arms like a little girl as I zigzagged through the cars).:D

Today:

"Kirk, did you get eye color?"

"Yes, black. The entire eye was black."

Every see the goofy guitarist for Limp Bizkit. That's how open his eyes were:

large.jpg

As high and stupid as he was, this could have gone sideways real bad. I am very lucky. Thank goodness that my training stuck. Thank goodness for my discipline.

Kirk Freeman, newly-minted Target Shopper.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There's your first problem. If you must go to Walmart, at least go to the Walmart on the west side. If you get attacked over there, it will be a much higher caliber of criminal.

If I went to the Westside I went all praying mantis or Wing Chun on him, I would draw an audience who could appreciate the fist.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you think the guy was following you waiting for the right opportunity? Sounds strange to me, like a disgruntled former client or friend of a former client or hell maybe just some whacko who saw you in the paper or news who's obsessed with you. I'd be watching your 6 Kirk seriously. Seriously though good job.

What do I think? He was high. His eyes were black, that's how open they were. He got out of the cab and started to "jerk stretch" like a Wabash Avenue Friday night.

I should have tracked him better. I took my eyes off what I identified as a potential threat thinking I was outside the threat's strike range. I made a foolish assumption.

He covered over one hundred yards in what it took me to cover 40ish yards. He tracked me over 100 yards of parked cars, people moving, other cars moving, and he singled me out, scope locked on me from over 100 yards out. He had to be moving with purpose, he chased me like a lion or maybe a jackal and he wasn't there to ask me for a cigarette or gum. I have seen this look and it terrified me because I knew what might happen next depending on what he did.

If it went loud, everything could have be flushed down the drain.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .....Did he seem surprised when you reacted decisively instead of being passive? ...

I go into immediate ******* mode (more than usual), extra loud and prickley, if someone approaches me in public at random.
    I assess their reactions and respond accordingly. Could be innocent but you don't know that in the beginning.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I went to the Westside I went all praying mantis or Wing Chun on him, I would draw an audience who could appreciate the fist.:D

Dammit Freeman! Now Ive got it stuck in my head. Ya'll can join me.

[video=youtube;LYK7ELUBq-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYK7ELUBq-0&list=RDLYK7ELUBq-0#t=16[/video]

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Glad you were able to react appropriately and to get out of that situation. Doesn't always end that well.

Similar thing happened to my wife about ten years ago in a shopping mall parking lot. She was more naive and didn't have the situational awareness. The guy hit her in the face with the hilt of the knife and grabbed her purse. She wound up with a concussion, cuts on her face from her broken glasses, and still occasionally suffers from ocular migranes that I am convinced were a result of this incident. Thank God he used the hilt and not the blade. Fortunately, a couple of witnesses chased the guy to his car, got the license number and within 15 minutes he was in handcuffs.

That is one of the reasons I got a license and started to carry. And, frankly, I don't think I could have shown the restraint you did.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    At one place I train they teach to use "command voice" to tell the dude to stop doing whatever. Do you feel like that would have helped/do it in the future (I assume you will continue to shop at Walmart) or do you feel like raising your voice st the young man would have been fruitless?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    At one place I train they teach to use "command voice" to tell the dude to stop doing whatever. Do you feel like that would have helped/do it in the future (I assume you will continue to shop at Walmart) or do you feel like raising your voice st the young man would have been fruitless?

Not certain why "Can I help you?" came out instead of "Stop!" or "Go away!" "Can I help you?" was more of an order than inquiry, but uncertain why it came out. Likely I could not believe someone was actually doing this as I do not look like an easy mark and certainly do not act like it. As high as he was, maybe he just did not care.

Stop! is imprinted very deep on the drawstroke but I did not draw.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... frankly, I don't think I could have shown the restraint you did.

Sometimes Kirk is a bit hard to cipher, but I believe a lot of his message is that he had to be restrained because the "fight" never came to be. This was intentional on Kirk's part to avoid whatever the strong-arm robbery was to be AND at the same time avoid the court battle in shooting what could be an unarmed attacker.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thinking this over, wouldn't it make sense, as soon as it is clear he is about to assault you, to draw on him? Just a Monday morning quarterback thought.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sometimes Kirk is a bit hard to cipher, but I believe a lot of his message is that he had to be restrained because the "fight" never came to be. This was intentional on Kirk's part to avoid whatever the strong-arm robbery was to be AND at the same time avoid the court battle in shooting what could be an unarmed attacker.

...... hands with reverse grip of a knife or screwdriver. .......

Now, what will even come of this? As in, the police have a report of an "encounter" there probably isn't much they can do with the guy even if they find him is there?

"Honest ostifer, I was just asking that dude for directions and he got all weird on me."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Now, what will even come of this? As in, the police have a report of an "encounter" there probably isn't much they can do with the guy even if they find him is there?

"Honest ostifer, I was just asking that dude for directions and he got all weird on me."

Probably a few things could happen. If they can catch up with him and ID him it seems likely he could be wanted by police for other things. Given the description he may be well known by cops assigned to drug enforcement. If not I'm not sure what all they could charge him with, but there seems to be plenty of video evidence that he's not just looking for directions.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Probably a few things could happen. If they can catch up with him and ID him it seems likely he could be wanted by police for other things. Given the description he may be well known by cops assigned to drug enforcement. If not I'm not sure what all they could charge him with, but there seems to be plenty of video evidence that he's not just looking for directions.

You don't run 100-120 yards to ask someone for directions. You don't "run up" on someone to ask for directions. You don't follow someone who is running away from you to ask for directions.

NOTE: no duty to retreat. However, standing there full value numbnuts in the open was not in my best interest under those circumstances. Withdrawing into the maze of park cars was in my best interest. Sun Zi and all that: I fought on the terrain that was best for me. He had to come to me and I could defeat him in detail. I, above all, did not put my enemy on death ground, he could withdraw at any time.

CHAPTER TEN: TERRAIN:

7. In a position of this sort, even though the enemy should offer us an attractive bait, it will be advisable not to stir forth, but rather to retreat, thus enticing the enemy in his turn; then, when part of his army has come out, we may deliver our attack with advantage.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

In my limited experience of applying the technique, it depends on the type of person who is approaching you. If it's a panhandler, a command voice and "I'm sorry I can't help you" or just "I can't help you" works great. Having a dead, flat inflection to accompany the volume and tone helps as well, because it emphasizes that no negotiation will ensue. The same is true for criminals who looking for an easy payoff and are smart enough to go elsewhere when their target fails their initial tests. For people who are more determined to do harm, it may not help and it might provoke them.

Top Bottom