• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why? Do they just suddenly dart into traffic in a cloud of dust and tire smoke regardless of the traffic situation??? (Purple)

That.

They're hard to see because the lights are hidden.
    They make it easy for impersonators.
    They don't give the impression that the ISP are here and making the roads safe, they give the impression that the ISP is sneaky bastards waiting to catch you.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was nailed in Illinois by a plane. It was on I-55, middle of nowhere. It was a day when parents are driving to Bloomington to pick up their kids from Illinois State at semester end.
    Clear day, light traffic. The cop that waved me over got a kick out of my radar detector. To me, pure revenue enhancement.

Also got caught by laser on I-57. Same situation, clear day, very light traffic, middle of cornfields. He was on an overpass and my laser detector went off but it was too late. I since learned to keep on eye on overpasses that have entrances to the interstate.

You should try Waze.

To each, his own; but personally, especially since the vast majority of my driving is work-related travel, I just drive at a speed that won't get me noticed. But, I do get a kick out of seeing a police warning pop up on Waze, and a half-mile later, seeing the chain of break lights coming on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... If one were to obey the speed limit or just go a few MPH over, one wouldn't have an issue with planes, unmarked cars, etc.

This'd be fine, if law enforcement would just do their job and get get those left lane lollygagers out of the way of traffic flow, so we could get to the speed limit or slightly above. :)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How many left lane tickets did the ISP sting operation write?

Seems like that would be an excellent way to enforce and get the word out on this rarely enforced legal issue?
    Vs, picking on folks just trying to get somewhere?

Exactly

I would like to see enforcement of the truly dangerous driving (lingering in left lane below the speed of traffic, changing lanes without a signal, tailgating) rather than just that which is easiest to collect $$ for

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My problem is, how do you "argue" or question this.
    A week later you get a mailed bill?

It's like a camera speeding ticket I got in Iowa, 1 month after I was there.
    How do I know what I was doing a month ago?
    How do I know the camera worked, all I got was a picture?

At least when my dad got a ticket for going through a red light, they had 3 pictures, which showed him stopped in all 3, and the car next to him in 3 different spots. He went to court and demonstrated the camera was not aligned properly.

Also, what if you get 7 tickets for 7 different days?
    If you speed and are caught, you know right away you have points on the system.
    Now though, by the time you find out, you've added up too much.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This'd be fine, if law enforcement would just do their job and get get those left lane lollygagers out of the way of traffic flow, so we could get to the speed limit or slightly above. :)

I believe this has been discussed before. So who gets the ticket, the lollygagger or the person exceeding the speed limit in the left lane? Both are violation of Indiana traffic code.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...If one were to obey the speed limit or just go a few MPH over, one wouldn't have an issue with planes, unmarked cars, etc.

Pffft

I can't speak to other people's home lives, but I actually want to get home at the end of the day. Many people apparently don't want to get home as the take as long as possible to get there.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe this has been discussed before. So who gets the ticket, the lollygagger or the person exceeding the speed limit in the left lane? Both are violation of Indiana traffic code.

Dunno. :dunno: Both would be fine with me.

I do know that we NEVER hear of citations given for the left lane violations, yet here we are discussing speed traps again?

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Instead of flying the plane over US-41, they should try I-70. There have been a ton of major Interstate-closing accidents between Greencastle and the State line this year. Both directions of travel.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

If your speeder is tailgating the lollygagger, then both are driving dangerously and should be ticketed. If a speeder is driving appropriately for road conditions, they aren't necessarily dangerous but can still add to state revenues.

I read an interesting tidbit about self-driving cars. They have a higher accident rate than human-driven cars, primarily for one reason. The self-driving cars don't break the law, so they drive too slowly in traffic and get rear-ended. In their case, following the law IS more dangerous even if it's legal.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    This reminds me of an old joke...

Bubba was tooling along well above the speed limit, and still being passed by other vehicles. Next thing he knows, he's got the flashing lights in his rearview mirror and pulls over. Being from a small town, Bubba knows the officer that pulled him over. Officer walks up to Bubba's window and proceeds to write him a ticket. Bubba says, "Why are you writing me a ticket and not all those other cars that were passing me??" Officer says, "Bubba, do you like to go fishing?" Bubba says, "Well of course I do! I love to go fishing!" Officer says, "Well Bubba, do you ever catch ALL the fish?" :)
    No, but I throw back the little ones. I only go after the big fish.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If one were to obey the speed limit or just go a few MPH over, one wouldn't have an issue with planes, unmarked cars, etc.

I have an issue with the planes as they are squandering resources do the same thing any decent cop with a radar gun can do. I have a problem with unmarkeds being dedicated to traffic enforcement because they enable impersonators and are often not visible enough once they do light up.

Neither of of my issues have anything to do with me speeding or getting a ticket.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maybe earlier versions, but the new algorithms result in fewer collisions than human drivers.

I read an interesting tidbit about self-driving cars. They have a higher accident rate than human-driven cars, primarily for one reason. The self-driving cars don't break the law, so they drive too slowly in traffic and get rear-ended. In their case, following the law IS more dangerous even if it's legal.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-

I dread the day when the Interstates are full of self driving vehicles.
    On Interstates self driving vehicles would potentially cause extreme traffic jams, because they wouldn't exceed the speed limit, would block off the left lane, and wouldn't be intelligent enough to adjust their speed up for a short time (above the speed limit if needed) so they could move over into an open space in the right lane to let faster traffic pass.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On Interstates self driving vehicles would potentially cause extreme traffic jams, because they wouldn't exceed the speed limit, would block off the left lane, and wouldn't be intelligent enough to adjust their speed up for a short time (above the speed limit if needed) so they could move over into an open space in the right lane to let faster traffic pass.

I dread the day when the interstates are full of self driving cars because they won’t understand middle fingers.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You're oversimplifying autonomous vehicles. The stuff you mention won’t be an issue.

Top Bottom