• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I dread the day when the Interstates are full of self driving vehicles.
    On Interstates self driving vehicles would potentially cause extreme traffic jams, because they wouldn't exceed the speed limit, would block off the left lane, and wouldn't be intelligent enough to adjust their speed up for a short time (above the speed limit if needed) so they could move over into an open space in the right lane to let faster traffic pass.

Well yeah they probably won't break the law but that would also mean they wouldn't stay in the left lane longer than necessary.

I have to admit, I'm hoping they are affordable by the time I'm too old to drive so I can keep my cranky self here in my rural area and not be carted off to the old folks villages quite so soon.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On Interstates self driving vehicles would potentially cause extreme traffic jams, because they wouldn't exceed the speed limit, would block off the left lane, and wouldn't be intelligent enough to adjust their speed up for a short time (above the speed limit if needed) so they could move over into an open space in the right lane to let faster traffic pass.

You know where that goes, Ed. You, the person driving your own car, will become the problem. They will then outlaw personal vehicle control - at first in limited areas or at limited times - but eventually everywhere. Luckily I'll be dead long before then

The only aspect of autonomous vehicles I would look forward to is the possibility that every car would go (with microsecond delays) as soon a s a light turns green. A conservative estimate would be that 10x more vehicles could get through the average light

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The only aspect of autonomous vehicles I would look forward to is the possibility that every car would go (with microsecond delays) as soon a s a light turns green. A conservative estimate would be that 10x more vehicles could get through the average light
    Oh what a sweet dream. If only I live long enough to see it. When I was young I was always behind an old guy that was asleep at the light. Now I'm old and I'm always behind young people who have to check their phone at every light. Can someone tell me what earth shattering news they are expecting to find on their phone that occurred since the last light 45 seconds ago?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

...but that "speed limit" could be much, much faster.

The limits are there because humans are driving.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We have troopers that sit on the Beech Rd. overpass on the US 20 bypass on the eastern side of St. Joe County. It has no entrance to the highway. They have other cars waiting down the way to stop the law breakers.

Oh, you thought that was for bypass traffic?

Nah. They are after me and my neighbors on Beech Road. Sitting on top of that bridge, you can't see them until it's too late.;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What if speeding could only be cited as a secondary, rather than a primary, charge?

I'd be okay with that. Speeding is not inherently unsafe, and ticketing for it typically does nothing more than pad municipal coffers.

(This question brought to you by my sometimes-appearing, libertarian side.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What if speeding could only be cited as a secondary, rather than a primary, charge?

I'd be okay with that. Speeding is not inherently unsafe, and ticketing for it typically does nothing more than pad municipal coffers.

(This question brought to you by my sometimes-appearing, libertarian side.)
    I’d be okay with that. If speeding is a factor in an accident, or is involved in some other incident, that’s when you get in trouble for it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I’d be okay with that. If speeding is a factor in an accident, or is involved in some other incident, that’s when you get in trouble for it.

I'd even be okay with Speeding as an add-on to otherwise-reckless driving, or when the speed is unsafe for the current conditions (weather, etc.).

I've always found it contradictory that police do the very thing (speed), and to a greater extent, as the very thing for which they cite drivers. If speeding is inherently unsafe, to the extent that it deserves to be stopped and cited, then it is moreso unsafe for police cars to speed even more in order to catch the speeders.

(And, again, I say this as someone who generally despises malum prohibitum laws, yet still abides by them.)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Churchmouse had that in his book of feces thingy. I figured it fit in this thread pretty good.

I think I've seen one other of her baking videos. Worth a chuckle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ...but that "speed limit" could be much, much faster.

The limits are there because humans are driving.

I imagine that as autonomous cars get more popular, we'll probably start seeing special lanes for them in big metro areas, maybe replacing hov lanes, with faster speed limits.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Was behind two people the other day going exactly the same speed, side by side, for miles. Looked down at my speedometer. 53. :rolleyes:

WTF? If you're just going to go the same speed, why are you not on that lane, not clogging up the highway? In front of them was clear road. Behind us was two lanes of backed up traffic. :xmad:

I said naughty words out loud. He apparently saw me shrugging my shoulders at him. He shrugged his like he couldn't figure out why I'd be a little impatient, put on his breaks--yeah, he broke to slow down--and pulled behind the other car. He glared at me as I passed him. Well. Don't hold up the entire highway, *******.
    That's highly irritating just reading this! Ugh! They should get a ticket for this garbage.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'd even be okay with Speeding as an add-on to otherwise-reckless driving, or when the speed is unsafe for the current conditions (weather, etc.).

I've always found it contradictory that police do the very thing (speed), and to a greater extent, as the very thing for which they cite drivers. If speeding is inherently unsafe, to the extent that it deserves to be stopped and cited, then it is moreso unsafe for police cars to speed even more in order to catch the speeders.

(And, again, I say this as someone who generally despises malum prohibitum laws, yet still abides by them.)

I always find it amusing and ironic when a speeding officer (sans flashing lights) gets stuck behind a scared driver doing the speed limit (or more usually less than the speed limit) in the left lane. Less amusing were the light to light drag races the ISP officers used to do early in the morning on east side when I first moved to Indy.

Top Bottom