SPRING OPEN INGO SHOOT May 12th @ProTEQ in Brazil!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Will Beowulf be bringing his cannon? I really want to see that shoot. Maybe he will even let me light the fuse. :ingo:

In any case, IDK what guns I will bring but they will most likely be rimfire stuff. Been wanting to try out a new SP-101 I bought, used, in 22 LR plus a rifle, lever action, in 22 Magnum plus some on my little NAA Mini Revolvers…that is likely what I will be bringing plus I should have plenty of ammo should anyone want to try out any of my firearms. Also my R2D2 chair so I can sit down and rest my amputated toes on my left foot…probably be needing to sit more than anything else.

Hope to see a bunch of INGO folks there, I will have my camera too. Maybe I will even meet someone local who wants to become a shooting buddy?:dunno:

I am sure to want a hot dog too, no mustard, ketchup please. ;)

Sadly, the cannon still isn't ready. I'm still getting the firing mechanism designed and built (no fuses for my baby) and the sights, plus the carriage is still really just a couple of wheels, an axle, and some iron work. I still haven't sourced the wood for the rest of it. I did get the barrel honed out completely, so I've accomplished something in the last year.

I will be planning on bringing my HK21 beltfed on an MG3 AA tripod. So, not quite as loud, but maybe almost as much fun.

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. Maybe the cannon will be ready by the next time you can go.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I will be planning on bringing my HK21 beltfed on an MG3 AA tripod.

Are you planning on running your HK21 on M-13 linked ammo or DM-1 non-disintegrating belt linked ammo? I've never fired one of these, but my understanding is that it will run on either one without any changes because of the "feedwheel" mechanism that it uses - pretty nifty.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah Beowulf that is my hope too. Besides, there is a whole :cool:SUMMER :cool:between then and now and you can bet the moment he says I am all healed and give me the prescription , diabetic shoes 'aint nuthin' gonna stop me, I will do myself a bit of shooting. Have a couple of new things that need testing.:yesway:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Are you planning on running your HK21 on M-13 linked ammo or DM-1 non-disintegrating belt linked ammo? I've never fired one of these, but my understanding is that it will run on either one without any changes because of the "feedwheel" mechanism that it uses - pretty nifty.

Mine has the original HK21 feed mech (it's an FMP mech, I'm pretty sure), so as far as I know it just takes the non-disintegrating belts. I have a bunch of belts though, and they aren't really that tough to load by hand.

What kind of.308 do we need to bring for the HK 21?

Really, just about any normal powered .308. I'm shooting steel through it as this point as it keeps the cost down. As long as I don't go too crazy in shooting until the barrel is red hot, it will still be more cost effective to run steel cased ammo in it, than brass (even with a potentially shorter barrel life and the replacement barrels costing $1000).

So, long story short, bring whatever... as long as it isn't corrosive.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm interested. I'll need to double check my schedule. I have some NFA toys that need to get out of the safe for some exercise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Mine has the original HK21 feed mech (it's an FMP mech, I'm pretty sure), so as far as I know it just takes the non-disintegrating belts. I have a bunch of belts though, and they aren't really that tough to load by hand.

Really, just about any normal powered .308. I'm shooting steel through it as this point as it keeps the cost down. As long as I don't go too crazy in shooting until the barrel is red hot, it will still be more cost effective to run steel cased ammo in it, than brass (even with a potentially shorter barrel life and the replacement barrels costing $1000).

So, long story short, bring whatever... as long as it isn't corrosive.

Ah, ok. The reason I asked about feeding is because I have some Lake City .308 that is already on M-13 links - easy to just grab a belt or two. I think I have some loose South African .308 stashed somewhere that I can bring, assuming I can make it to the shoot. It's brass, berdan, and non-corrosive.

Just FYI - it is my understanding that there were 3 or 4 different belt feed mechanisms in the 21 series. I think the most produced feed mech was the one from the HK21A1 which will work with either type of belt, but the 21E is sort of the new hotness that everyone wants and it's supposed to work with either type of belt too. The original HK21 feed mech (1960s) would generally only run on the non-disintegrating belts unless relief cuts were made on the backside of the feed sprocket, a fairly simple mod. If you use M-13 links without the relief cuts on the feed sprocket, it will put extra wear on the carrier because things in the fed mech are binding (assuming the gun even runs). There was also supposed to be some "late production" feed mechanisms that only worked with the disintegrating M-13 links and would jam with non-disintegrating belts - I really don't know anything about those, their history, or even who used them, but it sure seems like a step backward to me. Nothing is ever easy with HK stuff, lol!

If you are interested in being able to run both types of belts, there are companies/gunsmiths that can make the proper mods to the feed sprocket in your fed mech (assuming it hasn't already been modified by a previous owner). The problem with M-13 links and the unmodified 1960s feed sprocket is that the M-13 links place the rounds closer together than the DM-1 belts - so the backside of the feed sprocket needs relief cuts to compensate for that and since it's the front of the feed sprocket that pulls the belt inward, you don't loose any reliability. As another option, you could possibly just buy a 21A1 or 21E feed sprocket...I'm making the dangerous assumption that all of the other dimensions are the same. Here's one for sale and they should be able to answer whether it will drop-in to your 21 feed mech. HK 21E Feed Mechanism Sprocket Wheel

Hope this helps!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Will show up with some of my antiques if I can make it, but I won't know that until the day before. Mothers day is one of those nebulous holidays.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Will show up with some of my antiques if I can make it, but I won't know that until the day before. Mothers day is one of those nebulous holidays.
    I hope you can make it. I love the antiques you bring. Should I bring 30-06 ammo for your belts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If somebody brings their Garand, I'll bring some M2 Ball. My new baby wont be here until a week or two after the shoot. :crying:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I hope you can make it. I love the antiques you bring. Should I bring 30-06 ammo for your belts?

I won't bring the 1917 so hang on to the 3006, probably bring the M1, everybody has 45 ACP and it's easy to pack.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    assuming i don’t get scheduled to work or can’t switch out days with someone, we will be there WITH food !
    thanks all for the headcount, much
    appreciated

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So what are people Jones'ing to shoot? I do have an M1 Garand, M1A, 1903A3 and a lot of other old Mil-Surp stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Please bring the M1. My paperwork is still being processed and wont have mine till probably the first of June. :( I'll bring the M2 ball.

Top Bottom