• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wow. Passing that on to some Mac people I know.

Also, remind them if they upgrade/upgraded to High Sierra after the patch was pushed out, they will need to seek it out and install it. As of now it won't automatically appear in the App Store as a recommended update

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Also, remind them if they upgrade/upgraded to High Sierra after the patch was pushed out, they will need to seek it out and install it. As of now it won't automatically appear in the App Store as a recommended update

I can't think of a time when I have seen Apple act in this manner.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can't think of a time when I have seen Apple act in this manner.

Never mind. You are correct. It will be done automatically which is why it doesn't appear as a recommended update

From MacRumors

The security update is rolling out on the Mac App Store now, and it should be installed by all users running macOS High Sierra as soon as possible. Regardless, starting later today, Apple said the security update will be automatically installed on all Macs running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Umm. Waffling back the other way. The first reading I did on it seems to have been correct, but the applicable circumstances are more limited

Apple’s rushed software patch could be just as buggy as the code it was supposed to fix. Wired’s Andy Greenberg reports that multiple Mac users who had not yet upgraded their operating system from the original version of High Sierra to the new 10.13.1 update, but installed Apple’s patch, are seeing the root problem reoccur after they install the latest macOS system update. Reinstalling Apple’s separate patch hasn’t helped these users, unless they reboot and then install it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Late to the thread. But anyway. I'll drag this one up.

So this is pretty ****ed up. Net censorship getting to dangerous levels.

People are getting locked out of innocuous Google Docs for supposedly violating Terms of Service

People working in their own documents stored on Google's cloud are getting ToS violation/lockouts based on whatever content in the document is deemed "bad"

Sure, it may be a glitch, but it shows that Google might be monitoring the content of your files/documents.

If the service is free YOU are likely the product. Of course they're monitoring the content of your files/documents. They have to know what adds to feed you. While they're at it, why not censor the content of your documents?

If you don't want to be their product, there are other options. But then you might have to pay for your own ****.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/02/macos-10-13-1-root-hole-bug/
    PSA: Upgrading to macOS 10.13.1 will undo Apple’s patch for critical root vulnerability

I'm still on El Capitan. I expect to be told by my employer to get on the latest. I'm hoping I can wait for our next hardware refresh. I think OS X was pretty miuch done as of Lion. It's been mostly needless UI tweaks along with some not so useful under-the-covers stuff since.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have an Arduino that I did some cool stuff with a few years ago... and keeping thinking of great projects to do, but can't ever get to.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I have an Arduino that I did some cool stuff with a few years ago... and keeping thinking of great projects to do, but can't ever get to.

I have an older Raspberry Pi B+ that is a media player but it's disconnected right now. There's a ton of projects I'd like to make just to make them but I just can't justify the expense of buying new ones to make stuff. I also feel a laser cutter and or 3D printer would benefit some of the projects I have in mind.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LGR takes a brief look at AOL Instant Messenger, which is shutting down this month.

[video=youtube;lNAgfMtRte4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAgfMtRte4[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How to keep your data safe from attackers.

3z2H9lo.png

Top Bottom