28ios9v_zpsbl809jbr.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That is a great photo!

Is there a particular depth range on "littoral" waters, or does that just mean "close to the shore"?

It isn't really defined in terms of feet. The general rule of thumb is the divide between brown and blue water. The water in the photo is as deep and blue as the prettiest of eyes, where coastal water for quite some distance out is brown from the soil that erodes into it. One may recall that in World War II, Admiral Connolly earned the nickname from the troops doing the landings of 'Close-in Connolly' because he took his battleships right up to the reefs and blasted the dogsh*t out of the Japanese after someone before him had provided inadequate bombardment contributing to heavy casualties. For the argument of supporting landings, this is how we do it, not with a single small-caliber gun on a frigate or destroyer, or one of those stupid LCVs.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    USS New Jersey. Launched exactly one year after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Commissioned the following May.

I went on a west pac with her battle group.
    I was on an Adams class destroyer, kept a radar working that used vacuum tubes.
    my.... How destroyers have changed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Bow reminds me of battleships from before 1900.

Yes and no. That is actually angled backward. The ram bow battleships of the pre-World War I era were actually vertical with a ram mounted such that it was visible above the water line in spite of having most of its mass below the water line. This misguided feature was a product of the Battle of Lissa, which Admiral Tegetthoff won in spite of a significantly inferior fleet by means of recognizing his fleet's deficiencies, ordering his ships painted black, and then in battle giving the order to ram anything not painted black. This not only compensated for his lack of gunpower but also did much to alleviate the fog of battle. This stunning victory, however, had the ill effect of convincing all the modern navies that the ram was a viable weapon of naval warfare which really hadn't been true since the days of the Greek and Roman war galleys.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Very true. Far as I know they've only built just this one and it went to sea Monday for it's sea trials. I know $4.4B sounds like a lot, but it's not really when you consider this isn't a production copy, it's the first run with all the lessons learned and R&D. First one is always more.

I'm sorry, but I immediately thought of this...particularly the last statement.

[video=youtube;HlArxyK--6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlArxyK--6E[/video]

Top Bottom