• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Was at Indiana Gun Club the other day. They have two on order - one 4” and one 6”. Said they didn’t know when they would get them. One of the IGC folks said he thought this would bring the value of the original Pythons down. I agree. Don’t know how much, but given the choice of buying a 1975 Python starting at $2,500 without a box or paperwork or a new Python for $1,495 MSRP-I’ll take the new one. There are reportedly 15 fewer parts in the new gun yet ALL parts are interchangeable from old to knew. Other than some patina on the wood grips wonder how much difference there will be in the external appearance. Will the new gun have the famous deep Colt bluing the Python was/is known for ?

A lot of people who own the original guns don’t/won’t even shoot them. At least with the newest model you can take it to the range. Guess the value of the older guns will depend on the true collectors. I suspect they will argue the new guns won’t hold a candle to the old ones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was at Indiana Gun Club the other day. They have two on order - one 4” and one 6”. Said they didn’t know when they would get them. One of the IGC folks said he thought this would bring the value of the original Pythons down. I agree. Don’t know how much, but given the choice of buying a 1975 Python starting at $2,500 without a box or paperwork or a new Python for $1,495 MSRP-I’ll take the new one. There are reportedly 15 fewer parts in the new gun yet ALL parts are interchangeable from old to knew. Other than some patina on the wood grips wonder how much difference there will be in the external appearance. Will the new gun have the famous deep Colt bluing the Python was/is known for ?

A lot of people who own the original guns don’t/won’t even shoot them. At least with the newest model you can take it to the range. Guess the value of the older guns will depend on the true collectors. I suspect they will argue the new guns won’t hold a candle to the old ones.

How would they know if they do not shoot them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw the new one yesterday.
    While I'd like a blued one, guess they're only in stainless.
    So...........will eventually get the new Python in 6" (unless a screamin deal on 686 pre lock comes up first).

Yes, a lot of people talk about Pythons. Many consider them status symbols.
    Some folks don't know what the hell they're talking about (Python owners, shooters or collectors).
    Any fool can buy a Python LOL

I've shot a few different ones over the years. One a fair bit.
    My dad bought it way back around '72 ? and sent it to the Custom Shop for a trigger job.
    Yes it is nice.
    I dunno how many groundhogs its killed.
    But I shot a coyote and a deer with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Old Pythons are old Pythons.
    Don't think the new version will affect the previous one's value.

1500 MSRP.
    Only available in stainless at this time.

IMHO, buy one and shoot the crap out of it.
    What I sure plan on doing (if EGW makes a rear sight replacement mount for a reflex sight).

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Old Pythons are old Pythons.
    Don't think the new version will affect the previous one's value.

1500 MSRP.
    Only available in stainless at this time.

IMHO, buy one and shoot the crap out of it.
    What I sure plan on doing (if EGW makes a rear sight replacement mount for a reflex sight).

you will not see this piece doing much in any of the sports arena.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    From my experience, I think this will drive down the price of the old Pythons. I've been collecting S&W model 610's (10mm revolver) for several years. They quit making them in the 80's and reintroduced them about a year ago. Before they came out last year, some of the older ones were selling for over $2k. Those same guns today are going for around $1100. If you look on GB it seems that some people are already trying to sell before they take a big hit.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    From my experience, I think this will drive down the price of the old Pythons. I've been collecting S&W model 610's (10mm revolver) for several years. They quit making them in the 80's and reintroduced them about a year ago. Before they came out last year, some of the older ones were selling for over $2k. Those same guns today are going for around $1100. If you look on GB it seems that some people are already trying to sell before they take a big hit.

I don't know of any 610's made in the eighties? They've come and gone over the years but you may be right, someone that just wants a 10mm to shoot probably won't care too much if it has the lock or not and bother to search out a pre-lock. For shooters you also have Ruger making one too.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I don't know of any 610's made in the eighties? They've come and gone over the years but you may be right, someone that just wants a 10mm to shoot probably won't care too much if it has the lock or not and bother to search out a pre-lock. For shooters you also have Ruger making one too.
    Good point on the Ruger.
    The same thing happened with it. Ruger made a 10mm Blackhawk one year only in 88 I believe. They reintroduce it about a year ago and the prices of ther old ones came down as well. Albeit not as drastic as the Smiths.
    I believe you are correct 610's came out around 1990.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I always thought the Python was the prettiest revolver ever made and still do. I never liked the long action of the old ones and it was hard to find someone to redo the timing when it went bad, unlike the Smiths. If I need a new revolver to go with my S&W model 66, 19, 629, 60-10, 642, 60 and 63, I'll probably go for a pre-lock 686 for half the price of a 2020 Python. That's because all of my are shooters, not lookers.

Top Bottom