hqdefault.jpg

That be it! :laugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So does anybody know the street value of TP right now? I'm sure that the scented multi-ply stuff is more desirable thus has a higher price than the store brand. I'm guessing it'd be like comparing heroin to meth. Anybody? Asking for a friend.:shady:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sheeple gotta have something to do when they're panicking. They picked a run on TP.

For anyone interested in the actual psychology involved, this is a good article: Adjustment Reactions: The Teachable Moment in Crisis Communication

It is an easy read and I believe quite worthwhile. It explains the overreactions, the pushback/criticisms, and why there is actually value in all of it and how to help those who need it.

TL;DR version:
    Psychiatrists call this an adjustment reaction. They are part of the process of adjusting to the new risk. Here are the key characteristics of the adjustment reaction to crisis.
    • It is automatic.
    • It comes early.
    • It is temporary.
    • It is a small over-reaction.
    • It may need guidance.
    • It serves as a rehearsal.
    • It reduces the probability of later over-reaction.
    It is a limited overreaction to the Wuhan coronavirus news, but it is part of the adjustment process to the new situation.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For anyone interested in the actual psychology involved, this is a good article: Adjustment Reactions: The Teachable Moment in Crisis Communication

It is an easy read and I believe quite worthwhile. It explains the overreactions, the pushback/criticisms, and why there is actually value in all of it and how to help those who need it.

TL;DR version:
    Psychiatrists call this an adjustment reaction. They are part of the process of adjusting to the new risk. Here are the key characteristics of the adjustment reaction to crisis.
    • It is automatic.
    • It comes early.
    • It is temporary.
    • It is a small over-reaction.
    • It may need guidance.
    • It serves as a rehearsal.
    • It reduces the probability of later over-reaction.
    It is a limited overreaction to the Wuhan coronavirus news, but it is part of the adjustment process to the new situation.

Interesting, now what do they think of preppers?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Interesting, now what do they think of preppers?

They don't specifically address preppers, but I think this paragraph is applicable:
    This is the teachable moment! Instead of criticizing or ridiculing people’s adjustment reactions to emerging crises, smart crisis communicators encourage the adjustment reactions, legitimize them, ally with them, and guide them.
    In other words, people who have already mentally prepared are much farther along in the adjustment process to a new/difficult reality and can help others along. This goes along with my own belief and observation that many of those who I can identify as preppers on this board are less likely to be panicked and more likely to be sharing useful information.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They don't specifically address preppers, but I think this paragraph is applicable:

In other words, people who have already mentally prepared are much farther along in the adjustment process to a new/difficult reality and can help others along. This goes along with my own belief and observation that many of those who I can identify as preppers on this board are less likely to be panicked and more likely to be sharing useful information.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phase2 again.

You are right, it is the exact same pattern, just different timing...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My bil is a district manager for Meijer in Ohio. He said last year the "winner" in sales was Costco last year with a .4% increase over the course of the year.

The store increases started at 37% on "panic day one" and he was overwhelmed by that... and yesterday they were 276%.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, i for one believe we should identify these so called preppers and demand they share their toilet paper with us. I am pretty sure I have a pitchfork around here somewhere.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When this all dies down, people quit panicking and a few years pass, I wonder how many cans of food will be thrown away because it's "expired".

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have 10's of thousands of sheets of 20 lb. bond, one sheet gets you four squares, pretty durable, no punch through... If you crinkle a sheet it gets pretty soft.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We were just going through the alternatives at our house. I just bought cases of Kleenex and paper towel when we stocked up on TP. Those could be used and put in trash. Also washcloths and rags. We have a whole cabinet full of rags from old underwear and t-shirts.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    So does anybody know the street value of TP right now? I'm sure that the scented multi-ply stuff is more desirable thus has a higher price than the store brand. I'm guessing it'd be like comparing heroin to meth. Anybody? Asking for a friend.:shady:

Amazon and eBay have been taking down scalper's listings on stuff like that.

Cross posted from the CV thread, but this moron is sitting on new car's worth of hand sanitizer...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/17-700-bottles-hand-sanitizer-155735689.html

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Although a lot of people won't admit it, I think their biggest fear is being stranded on the throne with no TP.

EDIT: Removed the PITA.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom