• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The following is from an article I read earlier this morning. Another article said Mrs. Barra's 2018 bonus alone was just over $811,000. Based on my annual salary without overtime, that would take me 13 years to make what she did just in one year's bonus. Yet us UAW workers are supposedly over paid. I'm all for the upper execs making good money, they run the company. But sometimes it's a bit too much. And I agree, I never understand why so many people would be against anyone in the middle class having a decent income, benefits, pension, etc. I'm blessed to have the job I have. I won't argue that and I haven't forgotten it since the day I hired in. I'm willing to fight to keep those benefits.

[FONT=&amp]"Barra’s total compensation package was valued at $21.87 million, slightly below the $21.96 million she received in 2017. ... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]."[/FONT]

This is what is so sickening about this whole thing. Really, she made $43.8M in two years, yet folks complain about the line worker making $30K in over-time. Even if she paid $30M in taxes, in two years she has $13.8M left off. If her house is $1M, she now has a paid off home and $12.8M in the bank. The Florida and Montana homes are $2M, so now she has only $10.8M left in the bank. How will she ever survive on that pittance of a salary?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Temp workers.... are those the ones unions bring on for 9 months and then “fire” to rotate them to unemployment before bringing back on again?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Temp workers.... are those the ones unions bring on for 9 months and then “fire” to rotate them to unemployment before bringing back on again?

No. Those are the ones that MANAGEMENT screws over.

They don't "fire" them because they don't want to spend the money to train someone else. They simply keep them as part time indefinitely so they can pay reduced wages and insurance. Most of the time, part timers work more hours than full time, but they're part time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since when did unions hire workers for a company?

Our union was a hiring hall. The contractors interviewed from the bench. If no one was available they were OK to look outside the hall for qualified people. Those people were required to be screened by the hall. If they tested out and passed muster they could buy into the program. They still had a 90 day qualification period before they were accepted as full card carrying robots and top out in pay.

There was a real surge in need for service techs and the hall had not addressed this in the apprentice training program. The service side was treated like the red headed step child. During the period when the hall could not meet the demand for the expansion into the service trade a lot of very skilled techs from the dark side were accepted into the hall to fill this need. I was one of those techs. The money at the time was a serious increase. As were the benefits. I do not regret making that change but the politics of dancing were not in the service sides best interests. I proved to be skilled in fitting/welding so I worked off the fitters book. The pay reflected it.

We were a skilled trades Union.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's what really annoys me when I hear "those over paid,greedy union workers". Everyone conveniently forgets that THE COMPANY AGREED TO THE WAGES, INSURANCE, ETC. They obviously thought they could still make money while paying those wages, or they wouldn't have agreed. They want us to take the hit when the economy slows down, yet they still make the same or more money. Is it because they have a college education? I've never seen as many educated idiots as I do in my plant. They can hardly spell transmissions, and they certainly can't make one, but they still get bonuses that are 5 to 10 times my "$80,000" per year. During the bankruptcy, our plant manager still made mid sixes and still got $100,000 bonuses, while we were the ones who took pay cuts. It's always the union though.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Our union was a hiring hall. The contractors interviewed from the bench. If no one was available they were OK to look outside the hall for qualified people. Those people were required to be screened by the hall. If they tested out and passed muster they could buy into the program. They still had a 90 day qualification period before they were accepted as full card carrying robots and top out in pay.

There was a real surge in need for service techs and the hall had not addressed this in the apprentice training program. The service side was treated like the red headed step child. During the period when the hall could not meet the demand for the expansion into the service trade a lot of very skilled techs from the dark side were accepted into the hall to fill this need. I was one of those techs. The money at the time was a serious increase. As were the benefits. I do not regret making that change but the politics of dancing were not in the service sides best interests. I proved to be skilled in fitting/welding so I worked off the fitters book. The pay reflected it.

We were a skilled trades Union.

Well this thread is about GM and the UAW and the union had nothing to do with who worked in the factories.(might have been some favors for families but don't know that for a fact)
    I don't know anything about the union halls that supplied job specific help.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well this thread is about GM and the UAW and the union had nothing to do with who worked in the factories.(might have been some favors for families but don't know that for a fact)
    I don't know anything about the union halls that supplied job specific help.

Your question was specific. "Since when" so that was why I responded as such. No snark intended. Just responding to your question my friend.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Your question was specific. "Since when" so that was why I responded as such. No snark intended. Just responding to your question my friend.
    No Problem.
    While I was a union worker my whole career I'm not a gung ho union man they have good and bad just like everything else.
    The unions changed a lot while I was there.
    They worked with the company trying to make GM successful so they in turn would be successful.
    Keep in mind this contract like others before it is a lot of posturing.
    The Union wants to show membership they have their concerns at the front. GM wants to show the stockholders that they have their concerns at the front.
    While there are some real concerns on both sides it is a lot like the elections. Tell them what they want to hear.

A lot of the anti union arguments do remind me of the anti gunners arguments. Misinformation twisted to the way they want to make their point.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I watched the union destroy the Fort Wayne economy for a decade or more as they made it impossible for International Harvester to carry on production.

The Harvester days were before my time, but I was right there in the thick of it when the UAW destroyed the engineering facility.

Majority of the people suck.....doesnt matter if they have a union or not.
    There's some truth to that.

I'll admit that I'm quick to point the finger at the unions when it comes to ****ty workers, but in reality, those folks exist in non-union shops - they just aren't as protected.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I would say 70% of my business is automotive metal from rough coils to finished blanks. I personally don’t care about unions we pick up and deliver to union and non union facilities. It seems many companies are getting away from temps and going back to traditional hiring practices? It's a hard to find a person drug free with enough sense to get out of the rain, I am amazed at the amount of the work force made up of people that are 45 and older.

Last week I loaded at Jeffersonville it was about 120 degrees in the loading bay nobody working was under 50. The guy’s had put in 12 hours and had to stay over another 4 no complaints just what you have to to do if you wanna work. I worry about our future many young people seem to not be able to put in a 16-18 hour day? I do have some faith left my SIL has not missed a day of work in six years he is 28 so a few still exist.

So GM and the UAW need to get to common ground and get back to work!

I am already losing money over this so are my drivers rates are lower on non automotive metals.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if GM and the UAW are concerned that in today's world this strike could do irreparable damage to the company?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No Problem.
    While I was a union worker my whole career I'm not a gung ho union man they have good and bad just like everything else.
    The unions changed a lot while I was there.
    They worked with the company trying to make GM successful so they in turn would be successful.
    Keep in mind this contract like others before it is a lot of posturing.
    The Union wants to show membership they have their concerns at the front. GM wants to show the stockholders that they have their concerns at the front.
    While there are some real concerns on both sides it is a lot like the elections. Tell them what they want to hear.

A lot of the anti union arguments do remind me of the anti gunners arguments. Misinformation twisted to the way they want to make their point.

In all of this I am deeply greatful for the Union job my ole-man held down his entire life. It did us well over all. With out that I am not sure what he would have done for a living and I am sure he would not have prospered as he did.

I spent my last 24 years in a Union position. Glad I did.

Again it is/was the people. My family was all UAW. Every freaking one of them. And yes they were Dem lever pullers. Hive minded to the end. Self important and looked down on anything outside of the box they were in. My striking out into the HVAC world was scoffed and ridiculed. Not a "Real" job..........................until they had a furnace/AC problem. Then I was a hero. Maybe this tainted my outlook.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Let's talk about out of control costs...

Every so often, our machine platens need to be rebuilt. This process involves machining the platen, welding the platen with nickel rod, and machining it to true it up. It typically costs $250,000 and takes an outside vendor about a week. Our plant manager found a new vendor that charged half the price and only took three days. Everyone told him it was a bad idea, but he knew better. Sure enough, this vendor had it done in three days because they bought in this fancy mig welder that could run welds non stop instead of stick welding with nickel rod. Of course, they welded mild steel onto the platen - can anyone guess what 3500 tons of pressure does to mild steel? After two weeks of trying to run with ruined platens, the original company was brought in. They had to machine further than normal, weld twice as much, and machine it again at a cost of over $500,000. It took them four weeks. So, six weeks of lost production and $625,000 in costs instead of two weeks at $250,000.

Yup, we're the problem.

I’m guessing you have a stronger argument than “they are also wastes of money.”??

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's what really annoys me when I hear "those over paid,greedy union workers". Everyone conveniently forgets that THE COMPANY AGREED TO THE WAGES, INSURANCE, ETC. They obviously thought they could still make money while paying those wages, or they wouldn't have agreed. They want us to take the hit when the economy slows down, yet they still make the same or more money. Is it because they have a college education? I've never seen as many educated idiots as I do in my plant. They can hardly spell transmissions, and they certainly can't make one, but they still get bonuses that are 5 to 10 times my "$80,000" per year. During the bankruptcy, our plant manager still made mid sixes and still got $100,000 bonuses, while we were the ones who took pay cuts. It's always the union though.

There's no doubt that management does stupid stuff from time to time...like not specing a job correctly.

...but isn't the real question what value the union provides? Not the workers- the union.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I would say 70% of my business is automotive metal from rough coils to finished blanks. I personally don’t care about unions we pick up and deliver to union and non union facilities. It seems many companies are getting away from temps and going back to traditional hiring practices? It's a hard to find a person drug free with enough sense to get out of the rain, I am amazed at the amount of the work force made up of people that are 45 and older.

Last week I loaded at Jeffersonville it was about 120 degrees in the loading bay nobody working was under 50. The guy’s had put in 12 hours and had to stay over another 4 no complaints just what you have to to do if you wanna work. I worry about our future many young people seem to not be able to put in a 16-18 hour day? I do have some faith left my SIL has not missed a day of work in six years he is 28 so a few still exist.

So GM and the UAW need to get to common ground and get back to work!

I am already losing money over this so are my drivers rates are lower on non automotive metals.

If not wanting to work 16-18 hour days make me less of a man then call me a sissy. I put in 55 hours a week and that is plenty for me. Taking care of a house by myself and spending time with my son are important too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If not wanting to work 16-18 hour days make me less of a man then call me a sissy. I put in 55 hours a week and that is plenty for me.

...but when millenials complain that they just can't make it like previous generations...and work 36 hours a week, I just laugh.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There's no doubt that management does stupid stuff from time to time...like not specing a job correctly.

...but isn't the real question what value the union provides? Not the workers- the union.

From time to time is being very kind. We see raging stupidity from management every single day and their stupidity costs big bucks.

As to the value of the union... our corrupt union has zero value. Unfortunately, you will never get enough sheep to realize that, so we're stuck with them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    ...but when millenials complain that they just can't make it like previous generations...and work 36 hours a week, I just laugh.

Agreed, if you are working less than 45 hours and are complaining about not being able to make it I will laugh. There are plenty of full time jobs paying decent wages here.

Top Bottom