• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ...but when millenials complain that they just can't make it like previous generations...and work 36 hours a week, I just laugh.

I constantly tell these "KIDS" that if you want more then you have to put out more.
    If you have a decent 40 hour a week job and you are struggling change your life style. If you want more than that positions allows you to have then either get a better job or find a 2nd revenue stream.

I have lived by this example my entire life.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The point being that you are capable if the need arises to be able to work a 16-18 hours day. If you put in 55 a week and your family is provided for that’s good and leaves you with plenty of family time.
    I agree if you live in our area and are physically capable of hard work and can't get a decent job it’s you not the job market.
    The dedication to providing for yourself and your family is what I see lacking in many youngsters.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    bF7pGtr.png

Yes, even lawyers.

When I was a baby lawyer, 60+ was the norm (I did 70+ when I sold cars). We were trying to prove ourselves by doing quality work AND producing. Imagine that.
    Now that I'm a partner and can determine my own schedule...I work less 60 hour weeks. However, I still work some and when trial comes, it's back up over 70.
    Our millenial new hires have a hard time with 40.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The following is from an article I read earlier this morning. Another article said Mrs. Barra's 2018 bonus alone was just over $811,000. Based on my annual salary without overtime, that would take me 13 years to make what she did just in one year's bonus. Yet us UAW workers are supposedly over paid. I'm all for the upper execs making good money, they run the company. But sometimes it's a bit too much. And I agree, I never understand why so many people would be against anyone in the middle class having a decent income, benefits, pension, etc. I'm blessed to have the job I have. I won't argue that and I haven't forgotten it since the day I hired in. I'm willing to fight to keep those benefits.

[FONT=&amp]"Barra’s total compensation package was valued at $21.87 million, slightly below the $21.96 million she received in 2017. Barra, GM’s chairman and chief executive, was paid $22.58 million in 2016. GM said Barra’s pay was 281 times that of the median company employee. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Barra’s pay package included a salary of $2.1 million, unchanged from 2017; stock awards worth almost $11.1 million; options worth more than $3.4 million and a performance award worth almost $4.5 million, according to the proxy. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Barra is GM’s highest paid executive. Chief Financial Officer Dhivya Suryadevara received slightly more than $5.5 million in total compensation, and Chuck Stevens, who she replaced last September, received just under $7 million, according to the proxy. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Former President Dan Ammann, who now heads GM’s Cruise automation unit, received just under $9 million, while Mark Reuss, who replaced Ammann as president, received almost $7.4 million, according to the proxy."[/FONT]

Who gets to say how much is too much is? I think the market should determine that. You do what she does and you can market your skills and if you can convince a board of directors that what you offer to the company is worth that much, you can make $20M too.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Who gets to say how much is too much is? I think the market should determine that. You do what she does and you can market your skills and if you can convince a board of directors that what you offer to the company is worth that much, you can make $20M too.

:rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You mean, like, negotiate? :rockwoot:

Agreed - but you should negotiate; not to be determined by another set of fat cats in Detroit.

Market forces have been interrupted. The actual, individual worker no longer has a choice; they've been told they have to go on strike.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

:dunno: Oh. Do you doubt your ability to do what she does? Or do you doubt your ability to make what she makes? Or maybe both. Or. Hopefully you don't care. Seems like that would be most consistent.

If you think the CEO is making too much, it's not all that reasonable to complain when people think you're making too much. Or, maybe decide whether what you're making is what you're willing to work for, and don't worry about what everyone else is making.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You mean, like, negotiate? :rockwoot:

Yes. You should get to negotiate with your employer what you're willing to work for vs what they're willing to pay you. And who am I to complain if you negotiate collectively. Freedom of association and all.

But, if you get to make judgements about the equity of the deal, and complain about how much you make compared to the CEO, when you're doing vastly different jobs with a vastly different output value, as an observer I get to make my own judgements about that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    :dunno: Oh. Do you doubt your ability to do what she does? Or do you doubt your ability to make what she makes? Or maybe both. Or. Hopefully you don't care. Seems like that would be most consistent.

If you think the CEO is making too much, it's not all that reasonable to complain when people think you're making too much. Or, maybe decide whether what you're making is what you're willing to work for, and don't worry about what everyone else is making.

No, it was a polite way of saying, "what a stupid response", but since you won't let it go...

First of all, as a tier one employee, my yearly pay is right around 60k. In order to hit 80k, I have to put in a lot of overtime. For this discussion, I'll use the 80k people get so worked up about.

The point that was being made was that the same people that are complaining about the $80,000 workers don't have a problem with paying one person $22,000,000. A little math shows that one person's salary would pay for 275 workers. I'm sure she's important, but does she do the job of 275 people? No ****ing way. I have no problem with her making her salary, but I have a problem with the same person whining about my salary. The problem isn't one person making 80k, it's 50,000 people making 80k. Is it our fault that the company needs 50,000 employees? My department has 200+ employees on my shift, I guarantee that they would miss us before they missed her. Yet, they still complain that we're costing so much money while conveniently ignoring what they are paying themselves. That's the point that was being made. You want me to take a pay cut? You want me to pay higher insurance premiums? No problem, but LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Don't expect me to make all the sacrifices while you're still raking in bonuses and raises. Instead of trying to understand what the point was, you reply with "talk to the board of directors". That's why I replied with...

:rolleyes:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Never was in a union. I'd hate to be committed to the same pay everyone else gets, regardless of performance. I don't have a degree, but I once found out I was making considerably more than a colleague who had an MBA from Notre Dame. Apparently management thought I was doing a better job. My income was only limited by my ability. I never begrudge anyone who made more than me, we all cut our own deal.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For those who haven't been paying attention, I'll restate my position.

I'm not interested in gaining anything for myself this contract. I make enough money to comfortably support me and my family. I'd love to see my cost of living allowance returned, but I'm fine without it. I have no desire to give up my insurance benefits. What I want to see is a clear path for part time workers, and a better pay scale for new hires. Everything else is a bonus.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    For those who haven't been paying attention, I'll restate my position.

I'm not interested in gaining anything for myself this contract. I make enough money to comfortably support me and my family. I'd love to see my cost of living allowance returned, but I'm fine without it. I have no desire to give up my insurance benefits. What I want to see is a clear path for part time workers, and a better pay scale for new hires. Everything else is a bonus.

Well now that sounds like a "Brotherhood" which is one of the things unions claim to be about. Hope this strike doesn't last long for everyone impacted, especially those without a voice in the process.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I worked for GM jn a salaried position for a couple decades.

Saw lazy and stupid in hourly, management, trades and engineering. It doesnt plague just the auto industry. I am repeatedly amazed at the nonsense put out on this site.

How some have landed jobs, had careers, gotten married and had kids......just boggles my mind.

The average person is an idiot
    Union job or not. College educated or not. Profession doesnt matter.

Jealousy seems to be a biggie when discussing uaw jobs/ wages.

Plants close. People get bumped to diff shifts. Jobs have health risks. Sure some are pretty cushy. Some flat out suck. Many are tolerable......until the effects show up after years and years.

UAW jobs aint bad. They are dandy for the slugs of society. They pledge allegiance to the union.....eap after screwing up and getting fired/ hired back
    Union loves this as the saved will vote however told until the day they die. Owned.

I get making tax burdens into contributors.....but for a long while its been rewarding folks for bad decisions.....and a steady check doesn't change the way they think. It just enforces it.

IMHO its corrupted the middle class.
    Brought up and into it those that should have stayed out.

But nobody wants a free thinker anymore. Funny

How middle aged white guys are spaced out just enough to get the work done. Almost like they planned it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I knew some very good and very smart people at GM. Some were talented artists, musicians other.
    Dont think it anything wrong to land a gig w steady pay and benefits.

Not all were mindless robots. There were plenty though

The stereotypical fat chain smoking democrat UAW member.......well it is pretty accurate for a large %. But being in Indiana....Ive seen plenty of non union versions LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Tier 2 are consumables to propel tier 1 into retirement. And to protect benefits for those already retired. UAW Elitism.

Just my 02.

UAW lost their azz in 2008 like everybody else so came up w this plan. No brotherhood. Self preservation only.

Top Bottom