• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey Doug, what time's dinner? We're eating at 1 pm, so if you're dinner is later.... ;)

Ironically it is at 1300 as well.

My biggest problem has been, to date, trying to get everything to hit the table at exactly the same time while remaining hot.

This year I have a cheat: salad and chicken soup with matzo balls. While that is on the table for everyone to dine on I'll have time to bring things out between 1300 and 1330.

In this way folks can eat while I finish things up. Most families only have one (1) oven and most of the time that is enough. There are certain days though that two (2) ovens would be wonderful.

Regards,

Doug

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So each year I create a plan with times, i.e.
    • T-200: Saute giblets
    • T-120: Turkey in oven at 300
    • T-10: warm rolls

Afterwards, I stash all the recipes and plan in a folder for next year.

A week or two before, I always watch the Good Eats! Thanksgiving Day specials.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have a large family so I only have to do one side dish and one dessert:

blanched Brussels sprouts, seasoned and sauteed in browned butter with crushed walnuts and red pepper flakes.

pineapple upside down madeleines

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Stuffing is evil!

There's no good way to cook the stuffing to food safe temp without overcooking the turkey.

One word for you: Spatchcock.

Put your "stuffing" in a pan under the bird, splayed out on a rack.

My Mom used to just put it in the pan around the bird, there was never enough if you just stuffed it.

Sure there is, pre-cook the raw elements.

You can sorta do that, but the problem is the raw juices that seep into it from the bird. What you would have to do is heat the stuffing up and then stuff it to give it a head start to get to temp. Problem with that is then you're trying to handle the hot stuffing.

Couldn't you theoretically remove the stuffing when the bird is done and if the stuffing isn't up to temp just add a small amount of broth, toss it in a pan and bring it up to temp like stove top?
    Otherwise if dressing is done right its just as good as stuffing

Yep, sure could. But same problem as heating the stuffing first, trying to handle the hot stuffing. You could put it in a cheese cloth bag to make removing it easier though.

I picked up a turkey tonight at Kroger and am defrosting it. Not sure why but the $24 bird was only $10.60. Going to try it on the smoker as a trial run before the family gathering. We may end up eating pizza...

When I'm smoking a turkey, I "smoke" at higher than normal temp usually around 300-325. Also unless you're dismembering the bird, if your smoker has a "hot" side put the legs towards it they need to go to a higher temp than the breast. I've got a brinkman offset so the side by the smoker box tends to run hotter. Otherwise you may need to tent the breast with foil to slow it down some.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Put the spatchcocked bird on a wire rack over the stuffing. (EDIT: I guess I already said that)

Fat and juices drip into the stuffing, but the bird isn't insulated by it and can cook quicker. Quicker cooking == tender poultry.

PS - food safety isn't just temperature - it's temperature and time. In other words, if 160F kills instantly (i.e. < 1 min.), 145F for 30 mins has the same kill rate.* I know there was a thread about this in the past, and I recall seeing a chart.

PPS - If you have one of those silicone oven mitts, check that the joint between the thumb and hand is intact. I got a nasty burn when I pulled the skillet from the oven - right at the web of my thumb.

*Time & temps here are for illustration only.

Last edited:

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    Here is a copy of the government pasteurization tables as reproduced in Douglas Baldwin's guide to sous vide cooking. 145 for 30 minutes would be more for if you're cooking a 1 cm thick steak from refrigerator temperature.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Turkey

A couple of boneless breast. Wife and most the family doesn't like dark meat and two breast fit in our oven better and cook more evenly. Carving the finished breast is a breeze too.

Rub with oil and seasonings and stuff in Reynolds Oven Bags. Add some orange quarters that in theory add some moisture while in the bag. Use a few onion halves to support/prop up the breasts. Set the timer and relax. I don't know why people make such a big deal about cooking a turkey, its really pretty easy other than planning ahead to thaw and to cook long enough.

Will ask others to bring a couple sides. Round out with sweet potatoes (w/ginger), mashed potatoes (w/garlic), real cranberry sauce, real gravy, rolls and a couple other items depending on what others volunteer to bring.

Homemade pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. The secret spice for pumpkin pie is the clove, always add a little more than the recipe calls for.

Most families only have one (1) oven and most of the time that is enough. There are certain days though that two (2) ovens would be wonderful.

Cooked for 18 people using an apartment size oven and microwave. Took some very creative timing and planning.

Afterwards, I stash all the recipes and plan in a folder for next year.

I have the same folder. Always make notes for next year so I remember what to buy and other tweaks. i.e. how may people, what weight bird, how much leftover.

In fact have it scanned to a PDF on my phone so when I occasionally show up at my inept relatives I have the recipes I need to save the day. That is when I am not repairing their garbage disposal using my Leatherman because they don't have any tools in the house.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here is a copy of the government pasteurization tables as reproduced in Douglas Baldwin's guide to sous vide cooking. 145 for 30 minutes would be more for if you're cooking a 1 cm thick steak from refrigerator temperature.

That's not the temperature and time cooked at, it's the temperature and time of the item cooked. So per that chart a turkey with 12% fat would have to be held at 145 degrees internal temperature for 13.8 minutes. So if you were cooking it in a 145 degree oven or sous vide it would take hours (days?) to get it to that internal temperature. But once it got there it would take 13.8 minutes. For a steak it doesn't matter if it's 1 cm or 3 inches, it would be 145 degrees internal temperature for 4 minutes.

And thank you for the link.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    I specifically said in a 1 cm thick steak because that actually was a 30 min cook time to pasteurization based on the conservative thermal diffusivity estimates (i.e. I was using Baldwin's cook time tables not the government pasteurization tables). None of the models required a 30 minute hold at 145, so at that point I jumped to total time rather than time at target temperature.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Who eats a 1 cm thick steak?!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I picked up a turkey tonight at Kroger and am defrosting it. Not sure why but the $24 bird was only $10.60. Going to try it on the smoker as a trial run before the family gathering. We may end up eating pizza...

Cook it at 350. You'll still pick up smoke flavor, and you'll get a crispy skin.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ...Cooked for 18 people using an apartment size oven and microwave. Took some very creative timing and planning...

I have also performed well in the past with only one oven. Won't touch a microwave AT ALL for Thanksgiving. Heresy! All made from scratch, all cooked olde style. Best flavor. Microwave...? Blech...!:puke:(Don't misunderstand, microwaves are fine for rest of year, but Thanksgiving and Christmas, along with birthdays require, for me, that extra touch.)

My trick in the past, and this year as well, is to create a spreadsheet with a "to the minute" timetable. In doing this I know exactly when to pull from the oven, when to start sauteing the onions for the stuffing, etc etc etc.

Still, it would be wonderful to have a spare oven once or twice a year. Things would go much easier and smoother.

I have thought about buying a countertop convection oven but haven't done so, yet...

I anticipate this years biggest complication will be the chasseur sauce along with Arya's Snitched Tarts. The chasseur sauce will require first making a beef stock, then from that making a brown sauce, then combining both of those with additional ingredients to finally make the chasseur sauce. The stock and brown sauce will be made ahead of time, but the chasseur sauce will require my attention right before the dinner so it is served hot. The problem will be that I must fry the dough and create the tarts right before dinner as well, as they should be served hot, or at least warm. I am thinking I will start the sauce a bit earlier and simply heat the tart oil, then make a few tart bases at a time while stirring the sauce. In this way I'll have the sauce cooking first and have it hit the table a little about 1315 - 1325 when they should be wrapping up the chicken soup and salad, all the while making slow but steady progress with the tarts. I can bring other stuff out of the oven and set on the table without significant time delays.

The flan and spiced pumpkin cheesecake will be made Wednesday, with the cheesecake actually starting on Tuesday. That way they will already be on the table for presentation when everyone arrives, along with the turkey and ham.

I was able to take the week off of work to go shopping and prepare for the event. I still don't know how the time will finally be organized.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stuffing is evil!

There's no good way to cook the stuffing to food safe temp without overcooking the turkey.

One word for you: Spatchcock.

Put your "stuffing" in a pan under the bird, splayed out on a rack.

stuff39.jpg

On a related note, This is what I am making. Dressing. (stuffing not cooked in the bird) I grew up on it and it is DEMANDED that I make it today, as I am (supposedly) the only family member who can make it. My entire extended family loves it. Grandma used to make it when she would host the extended family thanksgiving dinner, and whenever anyone would ask for the recipe she would say "There is none. its a loaf of bread,dried, some stuffing mix, some turkey broth, some onion, etc". Nobody ever bothered to chase that down. A couple years before she died I hosted thanksgiving here at my place. Knowing this was one of the many recipes she would take to her grave due to a lack of recipe, I had her come over early and make the dressing. But instead of letting her toss her "some of this, some of that" style ingredients into the mixing bowl, I would intercept and take a measurement before it went in. So glad I did so.

Just throwing this out there. I would be honored if you tried it.

Grandma Adkins' Dressing, oven to table time 1.5-2 hrs.

1 loaf white bread, torn into 1-2"pieces, dried to "stale" but not crouton stage (dry but not crunchy. dry the slices first, then rip it up after it has dried)
    1 3/4C diced celery (3-4 stalks)
    1 med onion, diced
    1/2 tsp rubbed sage
    2 1/2C Peperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing (white and blue bag, approx 1/2 bag)
    9C chicken or turkey broth (or 6 broth+ 3C water) 48-72 oz
    1tsp black pepper

Mix together everything but the liquid in a very large bowl . Add approx 2/3 of the liquid. Mix well. add rest of liquid slowly until you achieve approximately the same consistency as soupy oatmeal. (amount of liquid varies depending on how dry the bread is)
    pour into greased 11x14 baking pan.

cook 10-15 mins on 400 until it starts to cook (it may start bubbling).
    reduce heat to 350 approx 1 hour until top is golden brown and crunchy.

Remove and rest for 5-10 mins. Insides will be soupy when removed from oven but will thicken upon standing.

Serves 10-12

This year I make dressing as always and take it to my aunt's. Next year I take over hosting as well. My elderly aunt, my mom's significantly older half sister, who took over thanksgiving dinner after Grandma died, has decided this is her last year she is able to host. She isnt getting around as well and wanted to host it once more and invite all the kids and grandkids one last time.

The past 10 years since Grandma passed has been pretty predicable; some turkey breast and some legs, boneless ham, etc. I may break out the smoker and throw things for a loop. Or deep fry a turkey. Or both. I have about 12 months to figure it out.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I specifically said in a 1 cm thick steak because that actually was a 30 min cook time to pasteurization based on the conservative thermal diffusivity estimates (i.e. I was using Baldwin's cook time tables not the government pasteurization tables). None of the models required a 30 minute hold at 145, so at that point I jumped to total time rather than time at target temperature.

Okay.

Cook it at 350. You'll still pick up smoke flavor, and you'll get a crispy skin.

Agreed, but if you really want a crispy skin if it's a brined or "enhanced" bird leave it uncovered in the fridge at least over night and up to 24 hrs before cooking. Or I've heard taking a hair dryer to it for 15 minutes or so before putting it on works as well.

On a related note, This is what I am making. Dressing. (stuffing not cooked in the bird) I grew up on it and it is DEMANDED that I make it today, as I am (supposedly) the only family member who can make it. My entire extended family loves it. Grandma used to make it when she would host the extended family thanksgiving dinner, and whenever anyone would ask for the recipe she would say "There is none. its a loaf of bread,dried, some stuffing mix, some turkey broth, some onion, etc". Nobody ever bothered to chase that down. A couple years before she died I hosted thanksgiving here at my place. Knowing this was one of the many recipes she would take to her grave due to a lack of recipe, I had her come over early and make the dressing. But instead of letting her toss her "some of this, some of that" style ingredients into the mixing bowl, I would intercept and take a measurement before it went in. So glad I did so.

That's awesome. My Mom's stuffing "recipe" was the same, "I don't know I just eyeball it". Along with a few of her other recipes, my sister did you what you did for most of them. We all have the same recipes but some of us make them better than others, so it is possible you are the only one who make make it the same. My stuffing never turns out as well as my sisters, and my niece's creamy garlic dressing is the best out of all of ours.

And a bit of trivia, generally stuffing/dressing are interchangeable it doesn't matter if it's cooked in the bird or not. Up until the Victorian age there was no dressing it was all stuffing, they thought stuffing sounded bad so they started calling it dressing. Similar to parlor/living room, due to funeral parlors which got their name from the home parlor which is where bodies were displayed before there were funeral parlors. So they started calling them living rooms to distance the name from death.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Cooked for 18 people using an apartment size oven and microwave. Took some very creative timing and planning.

I have also performed well in the past with only one oven. Won't touch a microwave AT ALL for Thanksgiving. Heresy! All made from scratch, all cooked olde style. Best flavor. Microwave...? Blech...!:puke:(Don't misunderstand, microwaves are fine for rest of year, but Thanksgiving and Christmas, along with birthdays require, for me, that extra touch.)

My trick in the past, and this year as well, is to create a spreadsheet with a "to the minute" timetable. In doing this I know exactly when to pull from the oven, when to start sauteing the onions for the stuffing, etc etc etc.

Still, it would be wonderful to have a spare oven once or twice a year. Things would go much easier and smoother.

Even in the tiny kitchen it was all from scratch. The microwave was just a supplement for keeping items warm. Heck, I can't remember the last time I used the microwave in our house other than to look at the time display. Also used the farmer's fridge (back porch) to keep things cool.

The spreadsheet is funny, I have one too and in the tiny kitchen it was critical.

Having two ovens and a large cook surface is great in our current house. The double stove we have now is older than my wife (who plays the role of the witch in our house).

Bewitched+Fridgi+Flair+Stove+in+Action%21.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm doing two 14 lbs birds. One traditional smoked. I smoke at 300. Never had a problem with crispy skin. The other I'm doing a bbq smoke bird with a cranberry bbq sauce. It's delicious. Cant wait

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All items required for table presentation have been ordered and are enroute. I also did order the small Black & Decker countertop oven. It should help immensely with an extra space so that the main oven isn't crowded out with the turkey.

This Friday the great shopping binge begins.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom