• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have been chosen to do a prime rib for at least 20. Not a huge turkey fan so this works.
    Sheesh, did they choose to send some ducats your way as well? @ 8oz. Per serving average, you’re gonna shell out for a couple of loins if you find good 12& downs in USDA Prime! Costco had them at $13.99/pound last i was there I think? That’s a lot of jack, and what time do we eat?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I changed my mind. I'm going to do potato soup instead of matzo ball soup.

It'll be a fuller, creamier flavor.

Naturally, it is a good excuse to also throw in some bacon!

Doug

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sheesh, did they choose to send some ducats your way as well? @ 8oz. Per serving average, you’re gonna shell out for a couple of loins if you find good 12& downs in USDA Prime! Costco had them at $13.99/pound last i was there I think? That’s a lot of jack, and what time do we eat?

Yes, we are splitting the cost somewhat.

Dinner is at 1:00, come hungry. :)

This will be my first Thanksgiving home in five years. We usually spend the week in NYC and watch the parade. So for a couple years our Thanksgiving dinner was pizza.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Instead of Ham as the secondary meat, I voted for and got approval for a smoked roast.

I've not done this enough times so I have to ask: what do you all use for fuel in the smoker? I would guess you pros aren't using just Matchlight.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Instead of Ham as the secondary meat, I voted for and got approval for a smoked roast.

I've not done this enough times so I have to ask: what do you all use for fuel in the smoker? I would guess you pros aren't using just Matchlight.

I use Royal Oak lump hardwood almost exclusively. And don't use fluid to start it, use an electric starter, mapp gas, or a chimney starter.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll take that as a compliment!

Tonight I'm making the spiced pecans for the pie and maybe the Parker House rolls - pre-bake & freeze.

You're getting an early start!

I'll do preliminary shopping on Friday for basic ingredients. While taking my cooking class I want everything to be as fresh as reasonably possible, but I'll start making some stuff ahead of time.

The chicken stock and beef stock will be made on Sunday. Some of the beef stock will be turned into a brown sauce on Tuesday, and some more turned into a demi-glace on Wednesday. That way I have demi-glace ready to go on Thursday to turn into the Chasseur sauce right before lunch.

I will start the spiced pumpkin cheesecake on Tuesday and it will be finished on Wednesday. Waiting one day won't hurt it too much and it can be time consuming so it will be better to get this out of the way.

I'll do the Flan Wednesday evening and that will be fine for less than 12 hours in the fridge. I'll also do my candied pecans on Wednesday as well for maximum freshness without getting in the way of the Thursday crunch.

Thursday morning I'll stick the ham in the slow cooker early and prepare the mise en place. This is the massive prep work for having everything ready to go for the real cooking, like dicing onions, putting exact spice measurements out in bowls, etc. This makes the real cooking go so much easier.

I also need to set the table Wednesday evening so that is one (1) less thing to do on Thursday morning.

My countertop oven arrived today and I checked it out. Seems to be good so this will help a bit come the big day with an extra cooking space.

Regards,

Doug

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I generally just use Kingsford non matchlight and some wood chunks/chips for extra smoke. Type of wood varies. But I'm not a pro so take that as you wish.

I use Royal Oak lump hardwood almost exclusively. And don't use fluid to start it, use an electric starter, mapp gas, or a chimney starter.

That's good stuff as well.

I prefer going Tim Allen and using a weed burner.

I've used a chimney on top of the burner for my turkey fryer before. Coals ready to cook on in under 10 minutes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You're getting an early start!

I'll do preliminary shopping on Friday for basic ingredients. While taking my cooking class I want everything to be as fresh as reasonably possible, but I'll start making some stuff ahead of time.

The chicken stock and beef stock will be made on Sunday. Some of the beef stock will be turned into a brown sauce on Tuesday, and some more turned into a demi-glace on Wednesday. That way I have demi-glace ready to go on Thursday to turn into the Chasseur sauce right before lunch.

I will start the spiced pumpkin cheesecake on Tuesday and it will be finished on Wednesday. Waiting one day won't hurt it too much and it can be time consuming so it will be better to get this out of the way.

I'll do the Flan Wednesday evening and that will be fine for less than 12 hours in the fridge. I'll also do my candied pecans on Wednesday as well for maximum freshness without getting in the way of the Thursday crunch.

Thursday morning I'll stick the ham in the slow cooker early and prepare the mise en place. This is the massive prep work for having everything ready to go for the real cooking, like dicing onions, putting exact spice measurements out in bowls, etc. This makes the real cooking go so much easier.

I also need to set the table Wednesday evening so that is one (1) less thing to do on Thursday morning.

My countertop oven arrived today and I checked it out. Seems to be good so this will help a bit come the big day with an extra cooking space.

Regards,

Doug

A man who make his own stock - we really are alike!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This big boy is going into the smoker. Right next to a 22lb bird.

1247-1542329177528.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm doing a 15# bird on the BGE, probably not low and slow though, more like 325 with a hint of smoke.

I'm also responsible for corn pudding and some sort of potato dish.

Top Bottom