• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This big boy is going into the smoker. Right next to a 22lb bird.
    1247-1542329177528.jpg
    How much is Costo charging a lb for prime brisket?
    The capacity of the BGE is a lot more than I thought. A 15 lb. bird ain't small.
    Depends on which BGE, they have different sizes.
    I've done bigger
    TWSS. What size BGE do you have?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...hopefully some deviled eggs.

Get creative with the deviled eggs.

Steak Sauce - sometimes I will substitute steak sauce (Heinz 57) for the mustard and add some bacon bits for meat texture (and well bacon!).

Asian - use some wasabi mustard and soy sauce instead of vinegar then add a little freshly chopped ginger.

Mexican - some chipotle mustard and chopped peppers.

...or whatever else I find in the fridge that looks tasty.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    25lb turkey, 15lb prime rib, 15lb ham, yams with cranberries, creamed corn, rice and sausage stuffing, green bean and bacon casserole made with home made cream of mushroom soup, many fruit and meat pies...I'm sure I'll think of something else. Time to start cooking.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    25lb turkey, 15lb prime rib, 15lb ham, yams with cranberries, creamed corn, rice and sausage stuffing, green bean and bacon casserole made with home made cream of mushroom soup, many fruit and meat pies...I'm sure I'll think of something else. Time to start cooking.

Big gathering.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I tossed out my turkey I had peeped. Schedule changed and it seemed to have been thawed for too long. May still try a practice turkey. And then a real effort for thanksgiving.

do you guys do a dry brine? That’s my thought. Just need to get a bird thawed. Maybe pull it out Friday, season Monday evening, cook Tuesday afternoon.

i did the spatchcock ok and can probably do that again. Wasn’t real sure how to get the skin up and smear spices under there but I gave it a shot

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tossed out my turkey I had peeped. Schedule changed and it seemed to have been thawed for too long. May still try a practice turkey. And then a real effort for thanksgiving.

do you guys do a dry brine? That’s my thought. Just need to get a bird thawed. Maybe pull it out Friday, season Monday evening, cook Tuesday afternoon.

i did the spatchcock ok and can probably do that again. Wasn’t real sure how to get the skin up and smear spices under there but I gave it a shot
    I spatchcock, then rub with a 'dry brine'. That sits uncovered (and splayed out) in a fridge for a few days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you wrap it in a bag? Mine was in the fridge about 5-6 days and then 48h for the rub. The legs were discolored and didn’t look good

Part of the brine process is to get moisture into the meat for a more juicy bird.

Especially Turkey, I recommend against a dry brine. It is already a REALLY dry white meat. (I cant even eat non brined white meat turkey unless they used a meat thermometer and pulled it at just the right time... too dry)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Late start but I've just started caramelizing the beef bones.

I should have all the beef stock done this evening and hopefully the chicken stock as well.

JettaKnight, this is the first year I've done my own stocks, thanks to my cooking class. I believe I have everything ready to go or as close as I'm going to get.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom