What do Indiana's Police Departments Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I'm not tryin to start a debate or anything i'm on neither side (glock vs. XD ), i'm just wondering why none carry XD's? or M&P's? just wondering

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm not tryin to start a debate or anything i'm on neither side (glock vs. XD ), i'm just wondering why none carry XD's? or M&P's? just wondering

Terre Haute PD carries M&Ps, so I wouldn't say that no one does. THPD has alway had S&W as long as I can remember. :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    XDs offer nothing to LE agencies that have already transitioned to the Glock. Unlike Glock, Springfield did not make parts availalbe for the XD like Glock does, and armorer support for LE agencies is woefully lacking.

Add to that the XD/XDM is a single-action design (firing pin stays cocked upon the action cycling, and all the trigger does is release it), which many departments will not approve for liability reasons, and you have a combination that's going to have a hard time winning bids.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    What Agent 007 said is pretty much what happened. I would argue that in addition to that, price was a big factor as well. Glock offered a package that was cheaper than HK, Sig, Beretta. I do believe that the XDm and M&P can give Glock a run for their money as the years pass buy. I also think that XDm might win a few departments over with the grip safety. It will be looked upon as another added feature that could help with liability/NDs, and it really doesn't make the firing of the gun any harder to understand.

However, with municiple budgets the way they are, I believe the buying of new guns every five to ten years, as some departments have, or whenever a new Cheif comes in, will end.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Just found out the Adams county sheriffs department switch over to the Sig P220 in .45ACP, same as the Decatur Police Department.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Any one have an update on this? Im trying to dig up what monroe county, specifically BPD and IUPD are issued these days.
    saw an office sporting a glock of some sort in elletsville the other day. All my google attempts lead to talk of armored vehicles.

Google "bloomington indiana police issued sidearm" and you get !bloomington police get armored truck!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Wow, almost 9 year old thread! :):

Great time to bump it, though. Will be interesting to see how big the flock back to 9mm really is, at least here in Indiana.

Last I knew, Indiana State Police was using the Sig P227 .45 ACP. Heck, that pistol didn't even exist when this thread was started!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I couldve sworn i saw on officer in taco bell really late carrying a sig in bloomington. But the guys that post up in front of brothers seem to be carrying some sort of glock configuration. I unno, just curious! But yes itd be interesting to see who is running what today.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Police departments don't carry XD's because they are not on the same reliability level as Glocks or M&P's.

But I know, your XD that you take to the range 3 times a year runs great. I get it.

Talk to any firearms instructor who teaches for a living (not just a side gig) and they will most likely tell you that the XD fails more than Glocks or M&P's. Rob Pincus being the only exception to this-but he is paid by Springfield.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Any one have an update on this? Im trying to dig up what monroe county, specifically BPD and IUPD are issued these days.
    saw an office sporting a glock of some sort in elletsville the other day. All my google attempts lead to talk of armored vehicles.

Google "bloomington indiana police issued sidearm" and you get !bloomington police get armored truck!

IUPD glock .40's. BPD was the same but talking about moving back to 17's when I was still there a few years ago. And the dudes working off duty at Brothers are Bedford PD I believe.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Bloomington PD, I believe are issued the Glock G4 22. Rumor is that they will be going to the Gen 5 17, possibly the MOS version.
    Bedford is issued the Gen 5 17, Lawrence county the Gen 4 22.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    When I worked for Bloomington PD from '99-02 we carried the Sig P226 9mm and SWAT officers carried G17s. The whole department transitioned to Glock after I left, I assumed it was 9mm. I'll have to text one of my former coworkers to confirm.

Top Bottom