• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    It appears that PETA is now using drones to harass hunters.

PETA Drones on

My buddy flys these things and the ones he likes have a range of over a 1.5 miles! He can see real time video, IR signatures, record the whole flight and report GPS position. Being a hunter he has no desire to use the drone for nefarious purposes but what about those who do (pronounce PETA)?

If I'm on public land do I have to just put up with them? On my land what if I shoot them? The FAA is fairly sensitive about flying these and new laws seem to hit the books every month. Some states have anti-hunter harassment laws but where do these things fall?

Wait! I know..... they fall at the scene of the crash after being shot down.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For as cool as those are, they can still be susceptible to interference. As they proliferate, I suspect there will be various DIY (and possible off the shelf) ways to knock them out of the sky without firing a shot.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    v3_c6_s04_ss03_01.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Not sure. Do we own the airspace over the land we own? Have the controller arrested for trespassing? File a restraining order against all PETA members in our area? I'm sure if we shot it down then we would at least be taken to civil court for destruction of property.

I looked on instructables and didn't find any plans for a DIY directional EMP yagi.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube_share;dAELplrEYu4]http://youtu.be/dAELplrEYu4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;WfJeSlMzRyE]http://youtu.be/WfJeSlMzRyE[/video]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sure, try hitting a target moving in the air. Have fun locating ALL your rounds that missed the drone and came down on someone else's property...hopefully not injuring anyone in the process. Totally worth it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sure, try hitting a target moving in the air. Have fun locating ALL your rounds that missed the drone and came down on someone else's property...hopefully not injuring anyone in the process. Totally worth it.

You just gave me an idea for my air to air drone combat idea...

Does anyone know if tannerite is fairly brisant? I would just need some estes rocket motors, servos, an IR camera and a simple tracking algorithm... :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This VERY thing is being discussed of arfcom right now: How to "take" over or Crash an RC Drone? - AR15.COM

For anybody that thinks this is an easy thing to do, think again, Most drones are now GPS guided in addition to the RC guidance. Many carry a "home" feature or "hover" feature that means if you jam it's active guidance the passive guidance will take over and either send it "home" or allow it to hover until fuel source is depleted or it regains active guidance.

Also consider that creating a jamming device is very likely against FCC regulations and could land you in hot water...

Shooting down is one of the few ways, and can be done safely in some circumstances. However, you may face a civil suit; you have no property rights on the airspace over your property, you cannot control what flies overhead...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    How about some cheap kamikaze rc planes? Shooting them, torpedoing them with a kamikaze or skewering them with an estes rocket sounds like fun. If it weren't for the logistics of the needed 3 man crew I've always wanted one of those water ballon launchers!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any recorded collisions of aircraft with these things, looks like it was up above 500 feet?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure if I see them around my place, I'll just have the wife call it in to the cops as Peeping Toms.:)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wonder what a paintball gun would do to a drone?
    Maybe mounted to DH's Interceptor/Terminator drone?

The Disposable Heart Industries "Interceptor" series featured a Tippman autocannon, initially intended for anti-personnel use, but found a role with drone piercing marble ammuniton in the skies. As the war progressed and strategic resources became scarce, the large bore Tippman was replaced with the smaller caliber Umarex polymer sphere cannon, much to the disagreement by the pilots. American aviation command was convinced that a faster firing cannon, rather than the large wallop of the Tippman, would ensure easier kills against PETA airborne targets. By the end of the war, the mistake was learned and too late to switch back as all Tippmans were relegated to ground use...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How about some cheap kamikaze rc planes? Shooting them, torpedoing them with a kamikaze or skewering them with an estes rocket sounds like fun. If it weren't for the logistics of the needed 3 man crew I've always wanted one of those water ballon launchers!

I find it hard to believe you could reliably skewer one with a kamikaze or rocket... more likely method would be to get your own drone and fly a small fishing net type of device over the top to tangle the rotors...

Top Bottom