What kind of firepower do you keep in your vehicle if any?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I don't leave any weapon in the car if I don't absolutely have to. The security features of most any car are too easily defeated. And if they can't get into a secure box and want the weapon bad enough, just steal the car and take it to a place where they can spend some time with it. Last thing I want is to leave a weapon someplace easy to swipe and then have the assbag use it to hurt someone. Or worse yet, a kid.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I keep a snub-nosed .38 in my get home bag, along with 2 full speed loaders and an extra box of ammo. Hopefully I have my EDC on me also, but this is a good back-up if for some reason I don't.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What kind of firepower do you keep in your vehicle if any?

ebay3005.jpg

Yep.
    81zwJ1akKzL._SL1500_.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I was just thinking about this topic again and I thought this thread needed to be raised from the dead.

I'm curious about what kinds of changes people have made.
    No changes. I can also say while my choices are many and I have a lot of options in terms of how to pack for vehicle carry and travel, my get home or vehicle guns have never been .22lr of any kind.

What is a vehicle gun used for? Shooting from a moving vehicle at other vehicles or people who are likely taking cover behind vehicles. Carry when on foot away from the vehicle like shopping. Carry when on foot once you decide to leave your vehicle for good as a refugee in E&E mode. In all of those scenarios a .22lr simply does not work. Sure, we can fabricate situations where it might work. Those would be the .01%, I will prep for the 99.99%.

At a minimum i can usually lay hands on two handguns and a pair of binoculars. My GF's new purse can even do that.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No changes. I can also say while my choices are many and I have a lot of options in terms of how to pack for vehicle carry and travel, my get home or vehicle guns have never been .22lr of any kind.

What is a vehicle gun used for? Shooting from a moving vehicle at other vehicles or people who are likely taking cover behind vehicles. Carry when on foot away from the vehicle like shopping. Carry when on foot once you decide to leave your vehicle for good as a refugee in E&E mode. In all of those scenarios a .22lr simply does not work. Sure, we can fabricate situations where it might work. Those would be the .01%, I will prep for the 99.99%.

At a minimum i can usually lay hands on two handguns and a pair of binoculars. My GF's new purse can even do that.

Originally when I was thinking about the 22lr it was with small game in mind in case I got stuck in the middle of no where for a while. I still don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm on the fence between a AR-15, or folding AK. Probably going to be an AR since that's what I train with.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    • I wouldn't advise leaving anything valuable unattended
    • I wouldn't advise publicly announcing if you did.
    The value of a gun is only relative to the number of guns you own and the value you place on life.

If people on here know exactly who you are and exactly where you live, what you drive and your routine, chances are they are friends, family or a future problem. Your vehicle is more likely to be broken into if you have NRA, NAHC or INGO stickers on it then by what you post. Simple fact, ask crooks who steal guns. How many people here wear INGO hats or shirts when they drive or go somewhere?

Yesterday at my grocery store I could have sat there with a radio and watched people going in to the store and told you which vehicles to go rob if you were inclined to do so. It is easy to spot FIB Grouse Hunters or any other out of state hunter stocking up at the store just by how they are dressed and of course their out of state plates or rental car tags and paperwork/rental agreements left laying on the back seat.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Originally when I was thinking about the 22lr it was with small game in mind in case I got stuck in the middle of no where for a while. I still don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm on the fence between a AR-15, or folding AK. Probably going to be an AR since that's what I train with.
    Ok you shoot and clean an animal, now you smell like that animal. Bigger animals smell you. In your scenario you are in the middle of nowhere, so that can at least be dog packs and coyotes. Now you have their attention and all you have is a .22lr. Up here it is bigger critters. There are lots of ways to add 22lr to the mix. Right now when I Grouse hunt I may be wearing two handguns. A .45 to protect my dog and a Ruger MKII I have hunted with for 30 years, plus I am carrying a shotgun. I also have a Chipmunk rifle I toss in a pack sometimes. We can hunt with cans here so I am going to add a .22 handgun with can to the mix instead but I won't leave a can in the vehicle.

Not long ago while kayak fishing I saw some deer on land I plan to hunt. On my way back up stream I pulled out to see what they were so intently eating by the river bank. The next day I went fishing again and pulled out on the rocky point near where the deer were. I almost always pull out there to stretch, take a **** and wade fish and just enjoy the absolute beauty of the glacial rocks and the river itself. I walked back over to the spot to check for fresh deer tracks. Right on top of my day old foot print by the water was a wolf track. Oh look, they like this spot too. My gun is in the Kayak, not on me, I think to myself I have to fix this problem. Wolves are easily 120-165lbs up here and move a lot easier in the woods as it is their neighborhood, not mine. Bears are dumber and bigger. Coyotes are in packs as well and then there are the Cougars. Now, we have all these critters right in our yard too but at home I don't walk around smelling like fish and game. Down stream or down the road I am on their turf. This also applies to the city, you are not on your turf now.

Frankly when I fish I find lots of predators or Eagles working the same spots I do, which is one reason I carry when I fish. Plus I am covered in fish scent and if I have to pull out and spend the night stream side smelling like fish, not good. Seeing the Wolf track was a good reminder for me to stay vigilant. Same rules apply to rural and urban. Dangerous is dangerous.

My dedicated AR hunting kit is in a hard case and it includes a .22lr bolt and mags for it plus optics dialed in for it. That way I can go to .22lr for hunting and switch right back to .223 for deer or defense. Can it be a SHTF kit too? Sure, but it is not my first choice for vehicle carry. A light weight AR carbine that breaks down into an old laptop case is what I take and I plan to add another .22 bolt for it too. My better half keeps a Keltec 2000 that uses Glock mags in a laptop bag. We all carry Glocks. Each vehicle is unique too in terms of what works but I can easily step out, step back to the rear door on the drivers side and also pull a long gun out from under the rear seat. My first choice there is a shotgun. I have an 870 with Knoxx folder for that and it is loaded with slugs. I keep ammo belts dedicated to the shotguns for travel only. AR's have chest rigs. A Blackhawk 3 gun case is great for two long guns, like an AR and shotgun, mags, ammo belts and a handgun with mags.

I use all the same gear for travel, hunting, sport shooting and defense. That way I get to test my stuff in the field, in bad weather for long periods of time. Some of my ideas have really sucked, others are pretty good.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I see what you're saying and you're right that the kit has to be taylored to the area you're in. Up where you're at you've got some potentially dangerous critters especially with the wolves or getting between a momma bear and her cub. Around Indiana the worst we have are coyotes and I don't think they typically go after adults.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Unfortunately everywhere I drive, it's illegal to have a gun in the car. :( Damn kid's schools and my work...

I'm one of those suckers who obey's the law. Look where it's gotten me....

Top Bottom