• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Funny. My wife's family has one that the first person to come through the front door has to be a man. Her mother and grandmother would kick their husbands out right before midnight and have them come back in right after midnight. That doesn't happen with this generation.

That's in my family too! That's OLD school. When I was a kid, my grandfather would take me to visit people my family knew, to satisfy that superstition.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Goosetown Ridge is located in Perry County

Take 66 along the river to “Rocky Point” follow 66 turn right at “Young’s corner” continue on 66 after “Third Bridge” you will go straight on Tripplet road the road is located in a tight right hand turn on 66 it’s easy to find. It’s a gravel road go slow and wave at the residents they will be watching you. When the road ends look to your west that’s Goosetown Ridge.
    Goosetown was a actual town with a post office and everything population was about 100 in the 1830’s. Scarlet fever ran thought the area and according to what I have been taught killed most of the residents. Old foundations and remains of hearths can be found in the area do not touch dig or mess with the sites. Old burial sites are in the area as well with sandstone markers which look like just piles of rocks.
    In local folklore Haints are common in this area ?

BTW
    If you visit have a Forestry Service map and stay on public land please.
    German Ridge trail runs just to the East of the “Goosetown” area.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    My mom always said if you bump a rocking chair and don't stop it from rocking bad things happen. So i always stop them and i don't really know why

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My mom always said if you bump a rocking chair and don't stop it from rocking bad things happen. So i always stop them and i don't really know why
    It is bad luck to rock an empty rocking chair period according to my wife. Something to do with ghosts and someone will die.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Funny. My wife's family has one that the first person to come through the front door has to be a man. Her mother and grandmother would kick their husbands out right before midnight and have them come back in right after midnight. That doesn't happen with this generation.
    We had that back home too, and the guests had to be greeted with a measure of whiskey.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    So KT subthread. NEW YEARS .... eat black eye peas new year day for good luck

My wife dad (from Alabama) had to have black eyed peas, collard greens w/bacon, and something else. After we moved away from family, we made our own tradition (modified her dads). We decided we would have turkey, black eyed peas, collard greens w/bacon, feta cheese. Not superstitious for us, just a tradition. This year will be the first year in over 30 years we are not doing it (as of yet).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Technically, I do have a superstition.
    My brother and I never talk about the "S" word around our cars. NEVER.... anymore.

SELL or SALE

I owned my first car (that I had to restore myself) until I was 35 years old. The only time I ever talked about selling it, (while in the car) the crank snapped in two pieces within 60 seconds after the "S" word was said out loud.

....then.....

My brother had a 1973 Ford 3/4 Pick-Up with a "Dealer Option" 428 Cobra Jet. All stock complete with the performance headers, intake and carb. He was telling me about a trade he set up. (While we were sitting in his truck) So we detailed it and got it all ready to go trade. Last thing I did on his truck was check the fluids.
    His dipstick looked like cottage cheese. Yep. Head gasket blew just enough to show up but nothing too obvious. That's an expensive fix just because of that old phrase - "While You're There".

He kept that truck for another 20 years or so.

No matter who's car it is, we NEVER talk about the "S" word around it. :(

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I leave the Christmas tree up until the 1st.
    If a black cat crosses the road I go a different route.
    If any number I have control over comes to 666, I change it. If I can’t change it I avoid it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Goosetown Ridge is located in Perry County

Take 66 along the river to “Rocky Point” follow 66 turn right at “Young’s corner” continue on 66 after “Third Bridge” you will go straight on Tripplet road the road is located in a tight right hand turn on 66 it’s easy to find. It’s a gravel road go slow and wave at the residents they will be watching you. When the road ends look to your west that’s Goosetown Ridge.
    Goosetown was a actual town with a post office and everything population was about 100 in the 1830’s. Scarlet fever ran thought the area and according to what I have been taught killed most of the residents. Old foundations and remains of hearths can be found in the area do not touch dig or mess with the sites. Old burial sites are in the area as well with sandstone markers which look like just piles of rocks.
    In local folklore Haints are common in this area ?

BTW
    If you visit have a Forestry Service map and stay on public land please.
    German Ridge trail runs just to the East of the “Goosetown” area.

And while you're in the area, check out Knoblick Knob. Sorry, just had to throw that in. The name makes the adolescent in me smirk. Cue Beavis and Butthead.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That, and corned beef and cabbage

Yep, making Reubens today. Normally I would make corned beef, fried cabbage (fried in bacon grease with a pound of bacon crumbled up with the cabbage when it's almost done), and new potatoes. Then I'd make Reubens with the leftover corned beef. With DoggyMama still on a feeding tube, I just bought a small corned beef brisket (and sauerkraut of course) for sandwiches this year.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That, and corned beef and cabbage

Is it corned beef and cabbage, or just the cabbage that's important and people just add the corned beef in because that's the only way they know to make it? I've heard both. Also does anyone know if spinach counts as greens? Again I've heard yes and no. About the only true "greens" I eat are fresh beet greens in a salad.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it corned beef and cabbage, or just the cabbage that's important and people just add the corned beef in because that's the only way they know to make it? I've heard both. Also does anyone know if spinach counts as greens? Again I've heard yes and no. About the only true "greens" I eat are fresh beet greens in a salad.

Just did a little googling with mixed results. Corned beef and cabbage is actually more associated with St. Patrick's Day, but it wasn't so in Ireland. Most of the Irish poor couldn't afford beef, so they more often ate corned pork ("corns" referred to the large grains of salt used to cure the meat). When large numbers of Irish emigrated to the U.S., they found that beef was much cheaper here so they abandoned pork for corned beef.

Beef or pork are considered better luck than chicken, because neither cows nor pigs scratch in the dirt for their food. If you eat chicken on New Year's Day, you risk having to "scratch in the dirt" for your survival in the coming year. Cabbage (or other greens) are the color of money, so tradition has it that you will have a prosperous New Year if you eat them on New Year's Day.

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/03/15/how-corned-beef-and-cabbage-became-holiday-staple

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My wife thinks that putting shoes on the table or counter is bad luck, as well as a slew of other things. All handed down from the Irish side of her family.

She probably thinks it's bad luck for YOU and the ass whoopin' you're going to get if she has to tell you one more time!:p

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

It was always both corned beef and cabbage, on New Years, and as DogDaddy said, St Patty's. On New Years for good fortune for the upcoming year, on St Patty's out of tradition for those with Irish blood, which I assume has culturally permeated American society.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It was always both corned beef and cabbage, on New Years, and as DogDaddy said, St Patty's. On New Years for good fortune for the upcoming year, on St Patty's out of tradition for those with Irish blood, which I assume has culturally permeated American society.
    Yep, Irish on both my wifes side and my side so we observe most of the traditions.

Top Bottom