• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Photographers/Fishing vests. Anyone else notice all the fishing/photographers vests being worn at the NRA convention?

Riggers belts.

+1 on fanny packs: I used to jog near the old state police post in Bloomington (the stadium parking lot area). I would occasionally see other joggers with short haircuts wearing fanny packs and I assumed they were cops. I also used to know a bouncer in bloomington who carried in a fanny pack. I'm not going to out him, but if you're a bloomingotnian and you're one of the cool kids, you should know who I'm talking about.

Everyone likes to bust on 5.11's, but they make good work/carpenter pants. I got a great deal on 5.11 tacticals one time so I bought like six pairs of them. I cut the weird pocket loops off the back and they get worn pretty much every day. They really have made pretty good work pants. Like some others have mentioned, I figure the people who would recognize them are not the type of people I am worried about. I have my LTCH, so I'm not worried about getting "made" by a cop.

All in all, I'm not that worried about being noticed carrying. I have lately gotten quite a bit sloppier than I was, but I still try to conceal some in order to not freak out the squares.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Indeed it does. I guess I am of the belief that an actual person that CC's doesn't want to give the "game" away. So I guess, that there are now "official" 4 types of carriers: Those that don't, OC'ers, CC'ers..... and "Muted-Carriers" (henceforth MC'ers - not to be confused with rappers)

I use the term "covered carry", mine is normally covered but does get exposed ocassionally and it wouldn't take an eye with very much training to notice the very distinct outline visible thru some of my shirts when I'm carrying. It's been more than one ocassion that I've heard "I'm a lot more comfortable when I know a police officer is around" after my cover gives way and it's obvious I'm carrying!:):

And no, I've never represented myself as LEO, I just never bothered to correct their assumption since they weren't speaking directly to me.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Costco is a "Self Defense Free Zone"? That's a shame. I've only been there once since they opened so I guess I'm not really missing much.

I literally shopped there for years before I noticed the sign. It's text only, and somewhat off to the side. I don't like that they have the policy but I like the store so much otherwise that I still go there. I do need to write to point out to them though that I have transferred thousands of $$ in business to Sams Club since I saw the sign.

I am curious what the company leaders really think because it's not at all the obvious signage like (for example) Fresh Thyme has.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    What the Point in cc'ing, when other indicators you wear on your person often give it away? These aren't universal, but, every time I see a guy with a paracord bracelet and in 5.11 pants, they tend to be pretty good clues whether or not a person is carrying. Always kinda irks me, but then again, I assume that they're probably good guys, so I get over it pretty quickly. Do you guys see other clues that "out" carriers?

I really don't understand why that would irk you. What the hell do you care what someone else - who is minding their own business - does?!? Seriously.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I pretty much always wear jeans and Tshirt. Offspring #1 dresses better than I do. Of course, sometimes the Tshirt is subversive or gun oriented in nature. I carry IWB with a leather belt at my 8 (wronghanded) and even though it's a doublestack .45 it disappears. The only time I've been called on it was when I had my jacket on, as it pulls the tail of my shirt up a bit. I do tend to have an asymmetrical gait, but that's due to sciatica and rheumatoid arthritis.

I was given to understand that Costco is a disarmed victim zone, but at least at the Castleton location, I have been unable to find a sign, even having looked. Not that I'd pay any attention to it, but isn't the requirement that it be prominently displayed?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really don't understand why that would irk you. What the hell do you care what someone else - who is minding their own business - does?!? Seriously.

Does it irk you when people don't take off their hats during the playing of the national anthem? Does it irk you when you see a teen with pants down to his knees? Does it irk you when people talk with food in their mouths? Does it irk you when you see a young guy not open the door for an elderly woman? Does it irk you when a kid calls his parents by their first names? ...I can tell you all of the above irk me, how about you? And using your standard, all of these people, are minding their own business.

Fact of the matter is, I can be "irked," by whatever the hell I want, and should be able to avoid admonishment for my personal views, unless I inject myself into the situation, in an attempt to correct whatever behavior "irked" me.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It irks me when grumpy people don't drink enough coffee in the morning. :):

Did your machine break, Grumpy?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Anybody dressed like this.

2337927449_8e3f0f5a05_b.jpg

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Don't assume that my 511's indicate a state of carry. I recently discovered just how comfortable they are while wearing the long johns....they don't bind up like the jeans do, and accommodate the accompanying increase at the waist quite nicely. So, maybe carrying and maybe not. :):

Top Bottom