• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ok, lets take this a little further. Now lets say out of the 100 applicants 97 were white, 1 black, 1 hispanic, and 1 asian. You'd still be ok if all the admitted were white?
    And should collegiate athletics be eliminated? Legacy positions? Foreign students?

See. I'm not playing that game. It's not about ethnicity. You're making it about ethnicity. Applicants apply. Some get in. Some don't. I'd tell the white kid to get over it in the same way that I'd tell the African/Asian/Norwegian/Brazillian kid to get over it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So if a completely blind process produced spots for 50 all white students (remote but possible), those from. the small pools of qualified applicants: black, hispanic, and asians should just be happy the system was blind?

Is that any less fair if I go strictly by quota and that "3rd" extremely bright, high achieving, Asian student is denied entry because rules are rules and quotas must be honored? No, no one is happy when they're denied what they want. It's human nature. But in a world with limited resources, it's fact of life. I'd much rather be told I wasn't admitted because of something I could do something about but somebody else just did it better than be told that I qualified in all aspects but because of something I can't do anything about (eg skin color) I was being denied.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    See. I'm not playing that game. It's not about ethnicity. You're making it about ethnicity. Applicants apply. Some get in. Some don't. I'd tell the white kid to get over it in the same way that I'd tell the African/Asian/Norwegian/Brazillian kid to get over it.

Did you only read the first part of my post, or do you think collegiate athletics, legacies, and foreign students are ethnically based? You either can, can't, or won't answer the question that based solely on your opinion.

Kut (points to your flawed explanation)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    :)

And of course there is this famous pic of Gaston Glock and his new wife, along with Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker...(Look how Sarah and Matt look at each other...Who says Hollywood marriages don't last?????)

Gaston-and-Kathrin-1.jpg

I don't think wealth and fame give you any advantages....I am sure that Aryan blonde would have ended up with Gaston even if he didn't invent Glocks...Right???

Damn! Sarah is actually looking pretty good in that pic!! I love that little frock she's wearing, how it coyly covers up just enough to kick in the imagination!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Did you only read the first part of my post, or do you think collegiate athletics, legacies, and foreign students are ethnically based? You either can, can't, or won't answer the question that based solely on your opinion.

Kut (points to your flawed explanation)

I'm against legacy admission, but if it's a privately owned University, do whatever you want. If you're qualified, you're in.

College athletics is a hilarious example to bring up. How many supremely talented white athletes are given a back seat to the great black athlete? You don't see me crying about it. The most qualified applicants get in.

Same for foreign students. If you're more qualified, you get in.

Everything is racist if you want it to be.

CP (knows Kut's game)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm against legacy admission, but if it's a privately owned University, do whatever you want. If you're qualified, you're in.

College athletics is a hilarious example to bring up. How many supremely talented white athletes are given a back seat to the great black athlete? You don't see me crying about it. The most qualified applicants get in.

Same for foreign students. If you're more qualified, you get in.

Everything is racist if you want it to be.

CP (knows Kut's game)

Wait what? Examples? And just so I'm getting this right, you're saying that black athletes are more often chosen over "supremely talented white athletes" (meaning better athletically)? Further, the part wasn't even about race. Surely you understand that athletic programs are chocked full of kids that have below average admissions standards. That's the path I was trying to steer the conversation, not towards the racial spread of college athletes. I'd further question your belief that foreign student applicants should also be held to the same standard, as local American students, in local schools. I hope you're clear on how badly America is, behind the educational curve worldwide. And yet you still hold that foreign students with a better admissions resume should have presence over American citizens? That's surprising... I don't have that belief.

Kut (thinks CP want to make this conversation about something other than what it is, evidenced by his responses to the athletics question)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Want to hear something really shocking? If a privately owned University decided that it would only accept black applicants, it should be allowed to. GASP!!

You just now figuring out what "privately" means? But guess what, if it accepts a dime in federal funding, then it doesn't have that right. Good luck finding such a school. I imagine its somewhere between Oz and Never Never Land.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Kut (thinks CP want to make this conversation about something other than what it is, evidenced by his responses to the athletics question)

Something about pots and kettles.

This whole conversation is a non-issue. People want to cry when life isn't fair. Grow up. Nobody's picking Chester over DeQuan because of color. And I would even go so far as to say, in the cases that color is taken into consideration, it's overwhelmingly in favor of minorities.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Something about pots and kettles.

This whole conversation is a non-issue. People want to cry when life isn't fair. Grow up. Nobody's picking Chester over DeQuan because of color. And I would even go so far as to say, in the cases that color is taken into consideration, it's overwhelmingly in favor of minorities.

Hey bro, you made a comment off the cuff about "supremely talented white athletes" being passed over, so now I'm asking for an example of your non-to subtle antedate involving "Chester," and "DeQuan." Like I said earlier, you either can, can't, or won't. Don't worry about me, my belief in the clear bias youre exhibiting, isn't a bother at all.

And if you care to but this train, back on the tracks, I still would like to hear your opinions about preferences given to collegiate athletes, and foreign students, in regards to college admissions... reminding, again, that there was no racial, nor ethnic component to the question.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok, lets take this a little further. Now lets say out of the 100 applicants 97 were white, 1 black, 1 hispanic, and 1 asian. You'd still be ok if all the admitted were white?
    And should collegiate athletics be eliminated? Legacy positions? Foreign students?

I think we've taken this too far down the hypothetical rabbit hole already. We both know that we're not talking about 100% of admissions being completely equal. That's just unrealistic.

There are a number of kids who are just going to get in because they're very smart and accomplished. Things don't start getting iffy until we consider the less than perfect students. How much less would depend on how good the school is for what kind of students they attract.

College admissions should be as merit based as possible. If colleges care about producing the best, most competent graduates, they should Rank-order students according to all the factors they care about. GPA, SAT, extra-curriculars, entrance essays, etcetera, even order received. Draw the line at the number you can accept and that's it. If there are legitimate ties between a number of students on the bubble, I see no reason why the decision beyond that can't be random. If you're going to make it based on race, that means race matters, at least to the extent you make it matter. So how do we want people to view race? Such that it matters? Or not?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Hey bro, you made a comment off the cuff about "supremely talented white athletes" being passed over, so now I'm asking for an example of your non-to subtle antedate involving "Chester," and "DeQuan." Like I said earlier, you either can, can't, or won't. Don't worry about me, my belief in the clear bias youre exhibiting, isn't a bother at all.

And if you care to but this train, back on the tracks, I still would like to hear your opinions about preferences given to collegiate athletes, and foreign students, in regards to college admissions... reminding, again, that there was no racial, nor ethnic component to the question.

Isn't this the "white priviledge" thread? Of course there's a racial/ethnic component.

All I'm saying is, as I said earlier, diversity just for the sake of showing the world that you're diverse is absolutely insane.

The preferential treatment of student athletes (black majority) is wrong.

The admittance/non-admittance of foreign students based on anything other than their qualification is wrong.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think we've taken this too far down the hypothetical rabbit hole already. We both know that we're not talking about 100% of admissions being completely equal. That's just unrealistic.

There are a number of kids who are just going to get in because they're very smart and accomplished. Things don't start getting iffy until we consider the less than perfect students. How much less would depend on how good the school is for what kind of students they attract.

College admissions should be as merit based as possible. If colleges care about producing the best, most competent graduates, they should Rank-order students according to all the factors they care about. GPA, SAT, extra-curriculars, entrance essays, etcetera, even order received. Draw the line at the number you can accept and that's it. If there are legitimate ties between a number of students on the bubble, I see no reason why the decision beyond that can't be random. If you're going to make it based on race, that means race matters, at least to the extent you make it matter. So how do we want people to view race? Such that it matters? Or not?

Ok, fair response. But this isn't simply a race based argument, concerning preference, hence why I asked about college athletics and foreign students. If were going on merit alone, shouldn't we also consider athletics and foreign students. Should qualified, academically, students have issue with lesser qualified athletes gaining admission over them? And is it a bad thing to show preference, within American state schools, to foreign (academically superior) students, over American students (academically inferior to foreign students)?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Isn't this the "white priviledge" thread? Of course there's a racial/ethnic component.

All I'm saying is, as I said earlier, diversity just for the sake of showing the world that you're diverse is absolutely insane.

The preferential treatment of student athletes (black majority) is wrong.

The admittance/non-admittance of foreign students based on anything other than their qualification is wrong.

You're still on this 'eh? Just forget I said anything 'cause you're either missing the point, or want to take this someplace I don't.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    You're still on this 'eh? Just forget I said anything 'cause you're either missing the point, or want to take this someplace I don't.

You asked me to clarify. I did.

Lesser qualified athletes getting admitted ahead of more qualified non-athlete students is no bueno in my book.

CP (still knows Kut wants equal outcomes)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You asked me to clarify. I did.

Lesser qualified athletes getting admitted ahead of more qualified non-athlete students is no bueno in my book.

CP (still knows Kut wants equal outcomes)

Don't you mean black athletes favored over "superior..." oops, excuse me "supremely talented white athletes?" ...And yet, you still haven't provide shred of proof, as requested repeatedly.

Kut (wonders why CP brings something up, but fails to offer proof)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Don't you mean black athletes favored over "superior..." oops, excuse me "supremely talented white athletes?" ...And yet, you still haven't provide shred of proof, as requested repeatedly.

Kut (wonders why CP brings something up, but fails to offer proof)

Mmk.

2012:

Division I Football. African-American 51.6.%. White 43.3%

Division I Basketball. African-American 57.2%. White 29.4%

Pretty large disparity compared to the population. I'm sure it was all talent. I'm out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Mmk.

2012:

Division I Football. African-American 51.6.%. White 43.3%

Division I Basketball. African-American 57.2%. White 29.4%

Pretty large disparity compared to the population. I'm sure it was all talent. I'm out.

Can't think of a reason for this 'eh, other than the "supremely talented white athletes" are being discriminated against? That's some 1936 home team Olympic thoughts for sure.

Top Bottom