• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does anyone know who Tony Antonucci is? He is one of the few that got away from Gacy. How you ask? He was much smaller, had been handcuffed, and was in Gacy's home but still got away! He was able to wrestle the proverbial silverback gorilla, get the cuffs off, cuff Gacy, and escape. As a wrestler he picked up something the other 33 boys didn't, cunning. If wrestling, something not mentioned in any of this thread as a good self defense tool, can get someone through this mess, can't most of them?

Wrestling is a martial art.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If wrestling, something not mentioned in any of this thread as a good self defense tool, can get someone through this mess, can't most of them?

Um, I mentioned wrestling several times. Both separately and included in the four methods of boxing.

What do you think Shuai jiao, Ditangqinna shr, Newaza and BJJ are?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Fighting to escape and fighting to win the fight are very different things. As I said above, females have a WAY better chance when fighting to disengage or when trained to use a force multiplier. Training to stand and throw or dominate on the ground is a really low percentage proposition.

That is true of old men like me too!

I fight to egress, with vigor.:D

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    "Qin na" means "seize and control". It is joint locks, take downs, wrestling of the Four Methods of Boxing: hitting, kicking, throwing and wrestling (qin na is here and in throwing).

Qin Na is considered "anti-wrestling" in most styles. The bigger systems White Crane, Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis (all cousins), Long Fist, Choi Li Fut, etc. all have heavy emphasis on throwing, qin na as they are enormous systems. Systems such as Wing Chun do not emphasis qin na (it is there, not stressed).

If White Crane or Praying Mantis is a symphony, then Wing Chun is a Ramones song. Mantis has 60 hand forms (including 3 man forms), 18 weapons, wrestling, throwing, etc. Wing Chun has 3 hand forms and 2 weapons (we have the tripodial, the mook, and the plum flower steps, which are cool but just training aids).

Wrestling is common within CMA systems, how much emphasis it receives depends on the teacher. Hitting and kicking is usually done first. The Indianapolis Mantis school teaches qin na separately from boxing as their teacher is an instructor under Yang Jwing-Ming.

I don't know that Tony had any exposure to those martial arts, as high school wrestling is more common.

If you are advocating high school style wrestling as a martial art and way to defend oneself, ok I'd have to agree.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Um, I mentioned wrestling several times. Both separately and included in the four methods of boxing.

What do you think Shuai jiao, Ditangqinna shr, Newaza and BJJ are?
    BJJ and wrestling are not the same thing at all different goals, different styles and such. Only in a very large sense are they the same thing. Oil and water are both liquids. That is about how I see BJJ and wrestling.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That is true of old men like me too!

I fight to egress, with vigor.:D
    As I constantly beat into my son's heads:

-No matter how good you get, there is always someone better.

-Superior skill and technique are easily and often undone by bad luck.

There are very few times where I ever suggest that someone try to "win" a fight. Unless it is part of the job description or I am drawing them off someone else, I have no interest in hanging around in a street fight. I've BTDT and in general I have really no interest in doing it outside of strict necessity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I constantly beat into my son's heads:

-No matter how good you get, there is always someone better.

-Superior skill and technique are easily and often undone by bad luck.

There are very few times where I ever suggest that someone try to "win" a fight. Unless it is part of the job description or I am drawing them off someone else, I have no interest in hanging around in a street fight. I've BTDT and in general I have really no interest in doing it outside of strict necessity.

No one really wins a street fight. The dents dings cuts and bruises are price enough.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    BJJ and wrestling are not the same thing at all different goals, different styles and such.

Shuia Jiao, ditangqinna shr, juijitsu, newaza, bjj are all wrestling. They cannot be anything but wrestling.

I advocated wrestling as a martial art is the very first post I made in this thread and people are pretending to not see it as if you have all become prosecutors or something.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Shuia Jiao, ditangqinna shr, juijitsu, newaza, bjj are all wrestling. They cannot be anything but wrestling.

I advocated wrestling as a martial art is the very first post I made in this thread and people are pretending to not see it as if you have all become prosecutors or something.

I hear only the sound of my own awesomeness...

3235896099_4bb4813017_b.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Oh if you say so. Never mind that they do almost completely different things.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county

I'd venture to say they are all forms of grappling, but as stated above, the rules, goals, etc., of wrestling are different.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I think this speaks volumes to the question about how worthwhile the time and money spent in martial arts are for those training to combat violent crime. My personal experiences are well outside of the styles in the article but they are consistent with what the article covers.

Why are there weight classes in boxing and wrestling? Because size and strength make a huge difference.
    Why do coaches want offensive lineman to be a big as possible. See statement above.

Women trying to go toe to toe is a losing bet almost all of the time.
    The article is accurate, to a point. Given 2 opponents are the same size, skill will prevail. However, a small person with greater skill against a larger person with little skill will likely win. Lets face it, most of the mopes out here have little to NO skill so even a small person with solid skill with come out on top.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I think this speaks volumes to the question about how worthwhile the time and money spent in martial arts are for those training to combat violent crime. My personal experiences are well outside of the styles in the article but they are consistent with what the article covers.

Why are there weight classes in boxing and wrestling? Because size and strength make a huge difference.
    Why do coaches want offensive lineman to be a big as possible. See statement above.

Women trying to go toe to toe is a losing bet almost all of the time.

I don't remember which number it is but Joe Rogan does an awesome podcast and has discussed the matter at length .

The one I'm thinking of specifically had Jocko Willink ( long time SEAL ret. ) on it and they talked about how jujitsu and specifically BJJ , rocked all of the traditional ideas of fighting both in the SEALS and dojos .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hbelyBN878

Here is Rogan's podcast. The other voice talking about BJJ is Sam Harris, a surprise to many.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    BJJ and wrestling are not the same thing at all different goals, different styles and such. Only in a very large sense are they the same thing. Oil and water are both liquids. That is about how I see BJJ and wrestling.
    Yes, they are different. However, they actually mix very well. I train BJJ under blackbelt James Clingerman and he is an excellent teacher with a MMA/BJJ/Judo, and a few others, background. However, one of his coaches there is black belt Aaron Johnson who is an accomplished wrestler, trained at Foxcatcher at one point. https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/interview-with-a-champion-aaron-johnson/
    He teaches a lot of wrestling in his BJJ and they are very solid moves. Some of our best guys came from solid wrestling backgrounds. I think they 2 sports mesh well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh if you say so. Never mind that they do almost completely different things.

Well, I do need to learn to how to create Euler diagrams. But the big circle is wrestling and then Shuia Jiao, DTQNS, Juijitsu, Judo, BJJ, wrestling and rasslin' are all smaller circles within the big circle of wrestling.

Top Bottom