• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mexico losing the game (and kinda losing their minds) against Sweden. Looks like Germany will be eliminated, unless they can get a goal and a win against S. Korea.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whoa.

S. Korea got a goal against Germany, in extra time, with 10 men on the field, with VAR confirming a bad offsides call.

Crazy.

Mexico will likely go through unless Germany can net 2 in the next 5 minutes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Germany has absolutely had chances in the past 10 minutes of game time. They just haven't been able to convert.

I think this is the first time ever they haven't made it out of the group stage.

Germany's pulling the keeper.

And SK just got another goal on an empty net.

This is just amazing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Really looking forward to the Senegal v. Colombia game this morning. That group is still up for grabs (although I think Japan is through to the next round) and both teams will really be pushing hard for the win.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, with Japan losing 0-1 to Poland, game theory says that Senegal and Colombia should both play for a tie, so they both go through.

Instead, they're both trying to end the other's tournament, so Colombia scores a goal.

Now Senegal is pushing hard.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. Japan advances after losing.

They are good, but I would've loved to see Senegal go through.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    but senagal had more "pentalty cards" thus bye bye!
    "dirty player" teams will get you penalized more in the end.

When I first heard of that as a tiebreaker, I kinda liked it.

But, having seen it and thought about it more, I'm not a fan. A team shouldn't be penalized for having a more athletic or aggressive style of play. Also, that leaves it to the whims of referees who might be trying to "control" a game.

I saw one suggestion for using the record in qualification games. That might be good.

I would also be open to using total corner kicks in the group games. Corner kicks indicate overall team offensiveness. If you're getting corners, its because you're pushing up on the attack.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    but then the players wont have all that acting/drama to get the ref attention

Yeah, that's a part of the game I hate.

But then I watch LeBron and realize that "selling" fouls isn't a soccer thing; its a competition thing. ;)

My preference was always to try and play through fouls as much as I could. Often, you can get an advantage because the other guys think the foul will get called and hesitate. Also, late in the game, you have more credibility when you DO get fouled. :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are they giving yellow cards for the fake injury flopping?

I think there's been at least one. Could've been a few more, but really, it is like calling holding in football. There's so much hacking going on at these levels, that there's contact every time a defender bodies up. Fouls get traded every time, so it is rarely a complete flop.

In other news, I thought this article was hilarious. :)

https://deadspin.com/england-score-big-win-by-losing-to-belgium-1827218894

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but the acting hurt *IS* part of the scoccer culture. hey players even go to "school" for it. its done a lot in latin america. not sure how much in europe but from the few games ive seen it occurs as well.

i find it funny.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I joke with my kids about how our hospitals should be stocked to the brim with the magic aerosol spray that cures everything.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What the hell... Denmark down to the Croats, also on penalties. Don't blame the Danish keeper, he was a stud.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Both keepers in the Croatia Denmark game were incredible. They combined to stop 5/10 PK shots at end of game. Such high level play in pressure situations with the world watching.

Spain completed over 1000 passes in their game against Russia. Insane. But that patient ticky tack game didn’t generate shots on goal. Kudos to the Russian back line.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Brazil gets bounced. They have SO much skill on that team and play so aggressively but Belgium is a heavy hitting counterattack. Fun game to watch. But I must say I HATE the way the Brazilians ***** and moan about every single play. Most teams do it but they seem to be the worst. Won’t miss that in the semis.

Top Bottom