• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can think of 3 off the top of my head who sometimes seem more omniscient than the rest of us mere mortals, although not all of them have posted in this thread.

And it doesn't include the one you're thinking of. ;)

Kut (reminds...... don't forget handsome too)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BREAKING: #PhilandoCastile From #FalconHeightsShooting Was Crips Gang Member - GotNews

This says he was a Crip. I'm not saying the officer was justified but just more info.

As far as justification goes, even if true it's irrelevant if the officer didn't know it at the time. LEOs are not required to ignore information they have on a subject at the time, but also do not get the benefit of new information they didn't after the fact.

While it may matter in the court of public opinion (if true or not), it doesn't matter legally. IMO, also doesn't matter ethically.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    The Washington Post gave a quote from the girlfriend that I found notable:

“As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet, he lets the officer know: ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I begin to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry,’ ” Reynolds said. “After that, he [the officer] began to take off shots: ba ba ba ba. ‘Don’t move, don’t move!’
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

I am not blaming the guy, however it does remind me of one of the key points my concealed carry instructor (20+ year police officer) told me in my class. He kept saying that whatever you do, during a traffic stop NEVER say to a cop "I have a gun". Either tell them you have a concealed carry license, or just hand them your concealed carry license along with your driver's license. He kept stressing that OVER AND OVER again.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've made the same mistakes in training too. Good training programs catch this stuff, and correct it early.
    IMPD get some grief, but having see other large metropolitan departments repeatedly step on they *****, I can say that professionally, you guy are a cut above. Now off-duty... wellllllll....... we're guilty of some of that too. I think a lot of IMPDs success comes from the fact that a good number of the officers are actually from the Indy area.

I think it's a combination of GENERALLY hiring a bit older than most LE agencies and a solid training program. The downside is we're also one of the more injured departments percentage wise because we're a bit older than the usual LE agency. I haven't seen new numbers, but a few years ago the median age was in the mid 40's and some ridiculous number like 1/3 was eligible to retire.

Off duty is a numbers game. You've got 1600-ish people, some one's stepping on their crank somewhere somehow.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I can think of 3 off the top of my head who sometimes seem more omniscient than the rest of us mere mortals, although not all of them have posted in this thread.

And it doesn't include the one you're thinking of. ;)

Well I was the OP. Doesn't that count?

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    ... I haven't seen new numbers, but a few years ago the median age was in the mid 40's and some ridiculous number like 1/3 was eligible to retire.

Off duty is a numbers game. You've got 1600-ish people, some one's stepping on their crank somewhere somehow.

Quick side note: Do you think having such an older police department could create a situation where a wave of retirements leads to a super young police department?

I ask because about 6 years ago I was taking an NRA basic Rifle class with a recently retired Chicago cop. This guy was the stereotypical CPD officer of the 70's and 80's, mid-50's, white hair, a gut :D, and a thick Wilford Brimley mustaches. In fact, the guy actually looked a lot like Wilford Brimley. I had come back to Illinois after several years away for college and work. I asked him why the cops looked so young now. He said that for a long time CPD had the oldest police officers of any major department, and now they had the youngest. I chalked it up to mass retirements and new hires.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Maybe a bit too soon for attempts at humor. A man did just get killed.

You've obviously either never worked/been around people who are in a risky profession, or your sense of humor has been surgically removed at some point. Unless you're watching it happen, there's always room for black humor as soon as the pulse stops pounding.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Washington Post gave a quote from the girlfriend that I found notable:

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

I am not blaming the guy, however it does remind me of one of the key points my concealed carry instructor (20+ year police officer) told me in my class. He kept saying that whatever you do, during a traffic stop NEVER say to a cop "I have a gun". Either tell them you have a concealed carry license, or just hand them your concealed carry license along with your driver's license. He kept stressing that OVER AND OVER again.

Does anyone know if the gun was on the deceased's person? I think, if your quote is valid, the officer will have an uphill battle trying to convince most people that a guy informing that he had a gun, led him to the belief that he was possibly going to harm him.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You've obviously either never worked/been around people who are in a risky profession, or your sense of humor has been surgically removed at some point. Unless you're watching it happen, there's always room for black humor as soon as the pulse stops pounding.

"Black humor???" Whachutalkinboutwillis?

#wasis

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why do you believe that to be true?

black people disportionately commit crimes and are incarcerated based on their population. To a person who doesn't have much interaction, if any, it's a easy default to lean on. I don't know about the other officers on here, but there are certainly some guys that are little more assertive with black people than white people. That's not based on being prejudiced, or racist, just lack of exposure.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Was watching the Return of the Jedi with the kids a couple days ago and every time Lando came on I thought of a certain Carmel PD officer...

Fyi, I "let" Wookie choke me to strengthen my neck muscles.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    black people disportionately commit crimes and are incarcerated based on their population. To a person who doesn't have much interaction, if any, it's a easy default to lean on. I don't know about the other officers on here, but there are certainly some guys that are little more assertive with black people than white people. That's not based on being prejudiced, or racist, just lack of exposure.
    I also think there is an evolutionary survival mechanism in all of us that pushes us to fear that which is unfamiliar or unlike us. This is not limited to race by any means, but I think we certainly inherently mistrust "outsiders" or "outliers" of any sort.

History has shown that it is much easier for humans to intellectually dehumanize those who are unlike you than those who are.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Definitely don't want to be blacklisted by you, Kut! :) And I thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I only had a couple interactions with blacks carrying firearms when I was a Special Deputy and none of them were confrontational. And, frankly, I'm happier to see more and more ethnic variety at the Indy1500 because I think every law-abiding citizen should be able to defend himself against those who would do him and/or his harm.

Top Bottom