• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, so based on all the answers, I'm not sure some of us are talking the same thing... there seems to be this concept of never sell any gun, vs selling every other gun you have when you buy a new one. And then there is somewhere in between.

OP, which were you asking? Are you asking about only having a single gun at a time? Because that's crazy talk.

If you are asking about selling something off that no longer fits in the plan, while maintaining a stock of those that do, well that's different.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Ok, so based on all the answers, I'm not sure some of us are talking the same thing... there seems to be this concept of never sell any gun, vs selling every other gun you have when you buy a new one. And then there is somewhere in between.

OP, which were you asking? Are you asking about only having a single gun at a time? Because that's crazy talk.

If you are asking about selling something off that no longer fits in the plan, while maintaining a stock of those that do, well that's different.

There has only been a short time that I’ve had two handguns at the same time. I have other firearms. But only one handgun to carry. I wasn’t sure if I’m the only one that sells the previous one or what. Butttt as I read everything, I think the likely cause I sell them is because I didn’t like them, which is the same reason I changed. This time I want to slim down just a little but not gonna sell current one.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Just a thanks for the discussion from everyone. Nice to see discussion without the snark. Love reading the differing viewpoints.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There has only been a short time that I’ve had two handguns at the same time. I have other firearms. But only one handgun to carry. I wasn’t sure if I’m the only one that sells the previous one or what. Butttt as I read everything, I think the likely cause I sell them is because I didn’t like them, which is the same reason I changed. This time I want to slim down just a little but not gonna sell current one.

Dude... You're way under gunned, IMO. At minimum every man, woman, and child in the US should own a .22 pistol at all times and at least something 9mm or greater (maybe not for the children) at all times. Even just 1 pistol per caliber is insufficient, IMO. If one gun goes down and you're sitting on a pile of ammo in that caliber, you're hosed. I'd even accept a G19 and a Hi Point as a solution if that's what you had to do just to duplicate caliber. You can upgrade later.

So, it's cool that you want to switch up your carry pieces if you want, but I think your game needs hardened a great deal overall before you sell any more guns. I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying that, just my opinion.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    The only pieces I’m considering selling are somewhat collectible long guns that I came into. I do have a rock island 1911 10mm that is practically new that came with them as well. All in all I intend on upping my selections. I did see a p938 posted I’m interested in but gotta get to that 50 mark before I can contact them. If it’s gone then so be it, there will be more.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    I seem to have a bad habit of trading carry guns however I have had the same EDC for the last 2 plus years. Plan on keeping her for awhile.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The only pieces I’m considering selling are somewhat collectible long guns that I came into. I do have a rock island 1911 10mm that is practically new that came with them as well. All in all I intend on upping my selections. I did see a p938 posted I’m interested in but gotta get to that 50 mark before I can contact them. If it’s gone then so be it, there will be more.

I'll repeat it again that a.22 pistol should be numbero uno on the buying list and that will nicely complement the .22 rifle you, hopefully, already own.

If I ever have to leave the house to walk the Earth in search of a new beginning, my .22 pistol is what will be on my hip, my 10/22TD will be folded up in a backpack with many hundreds of rounds, and I'll be carrying a real rifle on a sling. That moron that killed himself up in Alaska was able to hunt the local animal population to extinction with only a .22 rifle and he died from stupidity, not lack of fire power.

IMO, ya gotta have those 3 locked down and squared away first thing as soon as possible after you have a competent daily carry rig (and it sounds like you have your choice of 2 carry guns right now).

So, yeah, in this case my tune has now changed since you're lacking what I consider to be the essentials. Sell the other stuff to get the stuff you need.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    There's a difference between a durable good wearing out over years and a true consumable.

Guns wear out. Ammo is consumable. I stock way more ammo than guns.
    Guns and tools are durables consumables. Ammo is a true consumable, and magazines, clothing, boots, shoes are expendables. Guns can be rebuilt, most tools cannot, if it breaks, it breaks. I stack G19’s deep, along with spare parts. When I work through my spare parts, I can start to cannibalize full guns to make things go as expected. Glocks and AR’s are the only platforms supported enough for that to actually work. It’s what our military does, and seems to have worked for a couple hundred years, so I’ll continue until a better system is invented.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A little off topic, I'm also curious about the guys buying triplets. I'm familiar with the logic behind twins, and it makes a good deal of sense, but the 3x multiplier of the same exact carry gun is a new one for me. Can some of you enlighten me?

I've got 3 Sig P365s. One is the 2 tone model with standard X-ray sights, that's my daytime pocket gun. One is Cerakoted Titanium Blue, has upgraded Trijicon HD sights and has a TLR-6 light/laser. That's my nighttime pocket gun. The other is a P365xl with a Cerakoted bronze slide and HD front sight. It's my occasional pocket carry and probably the best looking of the lot. I have it mostly because I just wanted the XL model.

I've also got 3 M&P 2.0 9mm pistols. One is a 3.6" compact (car console duty), one is a standard 4.25" service model (end table sentry) and one is an FDE 5" tactical model (desk drawer duty). I love the platform for home/vehicle defense and it's nice to have 3 that take the same mags. I don't carry the M&Ps, but have holsters for them if I ever needed to.

Basically, I like to have multiples of the same platform, but with slight differences to suit whatever mission I have intended for the particular gun. Same mags, same caliber, same handling characteristics, slightly different role. If I liked Glocks, I'd probably have a 19, 17, 45 and 34. (No 26, the P365 makes it obsolete IMO) As it stands I only have a Glock 34, just to have a pistol with mag compatibility with my 9mm carbines.

So that's why I have 3 of the same platform for a couple of my gun choices. One is none, 2 is 1 and 3 is fun.

Also, because 'Murica.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hmmm? I think too much Bourbon has been imbibed, I kinda cross posted betwixt this and another thread. Sorry.

And you were up late, lol. I had my bourbon(Noah's Mill) early on and ended up going to bed early last night.

I'm on both threads also. There seems to be some commonality between the two.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got 3 Sig P365s. One is the 2 tone model with standard X-ray sights, that's my daytime pocket gun. One is Cerakoted Titanium Blue, has upgraded Trijicon HD sights and has a TLR-6 light/laser. That's my nighttime pocket gun. The other is a P365xl with a Cerakoted bronze slide and HD front sight. It's my occasional pocket carry and probably the best looking of the lot. I have it mostly because I just wanted the XL model.

I've also got 3 M&P 2.0 9mm pistols. One is a 3.6" compact (car console duty), one is a standard 4.25" service model (end table sentry) and one is an FDE 5" tactical model (desk drawer duty). I love the platform for home/vehicle defense and it's nice to have 3 that take the same mags. I don't carry the M&Ps, but have holsters for them if I ever needed to.

Basically, I like to have multiples of the same platform, but with slight differences to suit whatever mission I have intended for the particular gun. Same mags, same caliber, same handling characteristics, slightly different role. If I liked Glocks, I'd probably have a 19, 17, 45 and 34. (No 26, the P365 makes it obsolete IMO) As it stands I only have a Glock 34, just to have a pistol with mag compatibility with my 9mm carbines.

So that's why I have 3 of the same platform for a couple of my gun choices. One is none, 2 is 1 and 3 is fun.

Also, because 'Murica.

I think you could be my brother from another mother when it comes to gun selection (as I have very similar triplets to you, but with a bit less variation between the individual triplets).

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Guns and tools are durables consumables. Ammo is a true consumable, and magazines, clothing, boots, shoes are expendables. Guns can be rebuilt, most tools cannot, if it breaks, it breaks. I stack G19’s deep, along with spare parts. When I work through my spare parts, I can start to cannibalize full guns to make things go as expected. Glocks and AR’s are the only platforms supported enough for that to actually work. It’s what our military does, and seems to have worked for a couple hundred years, so I’ll continue until a better system is invented.

OK, we're not far off.

If he's moved to G19 (for instance) as his carry piece, there's no need to hang on to an old XD inless he just wants to. And I have never wanted to.

But I will be honest: I don't keep a backup refrigerator in storage, and I think my fridge is more likely to go down than both of my carry pistols. (And I also go with the P365. It's a very good platform).

And complicated tools like guns and cordless drills can be rebuilt. But it's quicker and better to have spares with interchangeable parts.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Really appreciate all of the info. Actually turns out a buddy of mine is selling a p365. Gonna check it out tomorrow. Is 425 a fair price?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Really appreciate all of the info. Actually turns out a buddy of mine is selling a p365. Gonna check it out tomorrow. Is 425 a fair price?

If it's in really good condition with two magazines and the box, $425 isn't a steal, but it's fair. They run about $500 at retail.

Top Bottom