• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    BTW, Bob's not saying nothing to nobody.

If that is indeed his official position, we would be more than happy to set up a meeting to discuss with the events of that night, seeing as how you just stated he would like to say something to someone.. :D

@Fletch, What is Bob's employment history as far as we can dig up?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    @Fletch, What is Bob's employment history as far as we can dig up?
    Bob has been employed for the last 4 years at a technology company as a computer programmer. Said company has offices in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and the local town, as well as a data center in SLC.

Prior to that, he worked for the college for 5 years, doing the same type of work.

It goes back like that for the past 20 years, with job changes coming every 1 to 5 years.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What does the autopsy reveal? Did both people who were shot killed instantly?
    The brain shot appears to have been more or less instantly fatal. The facial shots were not, but of course caused severe trauma.

The heart shot basically instant, with the caveat that it probably takes a few seconds or more for the brain to run out of enough oxygen to operate.

I'm not sure what you're looking for (and I am not a doctor), so I'm basically trying to say that the shots did what you'd expect.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    The brain shot appears to have been more or less instantly fatal. The facial shots were not, but of course caused severe trauma.

The heart shot basically instant, with the caveat that it probably takes a few seconds or more for the brain to run out of enough oxygen to operate.

I'm not sure what you're looking for (and I am not a doctor), so I'm basically trying to say that the shots did what you'd expect.

Making sure Wendy didn't have the ability to crawl. Just trying to cover everything. :D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Any unsolved coed murders/disappearances at the college campuses or cities that Bob worked at prior to this one?
    If so, was there a .38 or .45 used and can ballistics match them to the slugs from either Wendy or Joe?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Any unsolved coed murders/disappearances at the college campuses or cities that Bob worked at prior to this one?
    If so, was there a .38 or .45 used and can ballistics match them to the slugs from either Wendy or Joe?
    Nothing of the sort.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Given we have no way to tell why those two were in Bob's apartment in the first place it's hard to point fingers based on the physical evidence as some of it is contradicting. We do not know the conversation between Wendy and Bob the week before nor do we know if there was another person besides Bob, Wendy, and Joe in the apartment when the shooting occured. If we were to have a statement by Bob on what has happened from the moment he arrived at the airport until the time the first LEO arrived on scene. As far as him not making a statement it's clear that there is more information to this story that his Lawyer will not divulge at the time being.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, One shot from where Joe is into Wendy's chest, then two more toward the half-wall. Six shots back from the half-wall, through the glass, one of which missed and the other five hit Joe in the face. Whoever fired through the glass (presumably Bob, but not sure) then put the guns together in the spot on the floor between the half-wall and Wendy. At a minimum, Bob is looking at charges, which may end up being dismissed.

Fletch, is this under Indiana law or Oklahoma law or somewhere else?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    OK, One shot from where Joe is into Wendy's chest, then two more toward the half-wall. Six shots back from the half-wall, through the glass, one of which missed and the other five hit Joe in the face. Whoever fired through the glass (presumably Bob, but not sure) then put the guns together in the spot on the floor between the half-wall and Wendy. At a minimum, Bob is looking at charges, which may end up being dismissed.

That's what I was thinking. But what's the motive. How did Joe get Bob's gun?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, my approach has been that the law doesn't change the facts, and I'm going by a broad, conversational definition of each of the charges in the poll: 1st degree = premeditated, 2nd degree = non-premeditated, manslaughter = negligence or somesuch.

If it matters, and since this is an Indiana board, it probably makes sense to say Indiana law.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If we are operating under Texas law, then you cannot arrest rhino until he gives me another case of .45.

Well, my approach has been that the law doesn't change the facts, and I'm going by a broad, conversational definition of each of the charges in the poll: 1st degree = premeditated, 2nd degree = non-premeditated, manslaughter = negligence or somesuch.

You mean like the Model Penal Code?

I then move for a change of venue to the faculty lounge. My co-counsel, Professor Elemental, and I will be doing "research" with some female 1Ls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think Bob was helping Wendy out of an abusive relationship ("Her body is heavily bruised, especially on the back, as though she's been beaten") and he had given her permission to stay at his place while he was in Salt Lake.

Joe met her at one of the neighbors' parties and she invited him back to her temporary place.

Upon Bob's return, he heard them being loud in the next room, saw shadowy figures through the glass top of the half wall, and mistook their relations for violent intrusion.

He retrieved his Glock from a table drawer, where he left it, because he couldn't fly with it...and ran toward the direction of the room yelling. Joe's fingerprints were on the gun, because he'd discovered it in Bob's absence, looked at it...but put it back.

Hearing Bob yelling, Wendy freaked out thinking her abusive significant other had found out where she was, and she pulled her .38 that had Bob's fingerprints on it from when he was teaching her how to use it for self defense.

Instead of shooting blindly through the glass, possibly missing with all her shots and risking her "abusive other" beating her endlessly, she makes a snap hasty decision to play like she was being victimized by Joe...shoots him, and plans on sticking to that story to get out of being beaten within an inch of her life.

Bob hears the shots and Wendy's frantic cries, and breaks out two panes of the half wall glass...sticking the gun through the opening... (hence no casings in the living room).

He pulls the trigger just as Wendy was running toward the breaking window, recognizing it was Bob. The round hits her, she stumbles back to the mattress and collapses after being accidentally shot.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That's an interesting theory. Obviously, I can't comment on the particulars yet, but so far it's the most fleshed-out one that's been posted, and the main point of all this is that I wanted to know what ideas the (admittedly odd) physical evidence put in people's heads, so I like it. :yesway:

ETA: for some reason I'm now thinking about that old board game, Mastermind.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good theory, JetGirl, but if the .45 came through the glass pointing North, wouldn't the casings have ejected East? Besides, there's a .45 casing by the door and a .45 bullet in the floor under Wendy and she was shot straight-on, point blank into the sternum. We can presume powder burns on her chest. Of the available suspects, I'd say Joe and Bob did any shooting and one of them shot her first, from Joe's position. I don't know any other reason she'd have lain still on the floor to be executed. I don't yet see a motive for Joe to shoot her with Bob's gun, but I'd agree that the .38s came through that window above where the .45s lodged, their casings ending up on the West wall. Whether Bob fired the .38 is as yet unknown, but it looks like he did to me so far. We have method and opportunity for both Joe and Bob to have fired, but so farany motive is at best circumstantial.

Fletch, from autopsy, do we know if Wendy was raped and is there any indication of the instrument (if any) that caused her bruises? Also, presuming good investigators, do we know from her roommate or neighbors (not the ones in this location, the ones where she lives (since she's a college girl, on campus?)) anything of her activities and/or whereabouts. I'm trying to find out if some sport or other non-criminal activity might have caused her bruising.

Blessings,
    Bill

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    ...a .45 bullet in the floor under Wendy and she was shot straight-on, point blank into the sternum.

The bullet is behind her, not under her. Think of it as being in the floor by the east wall, so she was more or less upright at the time.

Fletch, from autopsy, do we know if Wendy was raped and is there any indication of the instrument (if any) that caused her bruises?

Rape is indeterminate. The bruises are consistent with fists or hands.

Also, presuming good investigators, do we know from her roommate or neighbors (not the ones in this location, the ones where she lives (since she's a college girl, on campus?)) anything of her activities and/or whereabouts.

According to her former roommates, she dated Joe a couple of times but did not have a serious relationship. The roommates didn't like him, calling him a "thug". Their housing arrangement fell apart when one of the roommates got married and the other one got a job opportunity out of state. Wendy couldn't afford to carry the rent by herself, so they presumed she was looking for a smaller place.

Top Bottom