• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Gun Handling is an arena that need drastic improvement in general. If a person has good fundamental gun handling skills then they will be much safer in all situations. If i have good gun handling skills and I get hot brass lodged somewhere, or I fall down, or I get startled or any number of things then I will be in better shape that someone without good gun handling skills. There are many people walking around with a gun that have very poor gun handling skills and pay not attention to the Four Rules or even to common sense.

Yep

I just had my worst "hot brass" experience a few days ago. I have to thank multiple people that have warned me about hot brass, including Coach and Rhino. And I can kick myself because I was wearing a blouse in addition to a v-neck.... but forgot to button the top as I usually do. I've had hot brass that "bothered" before but this one was REALLY hot. It ended up taking off a bit of skin in a delicate area.

Anyway, I kept the gun pointing forward, one hand on it, swore profusely as I moved the shirt which just moved the brass to another delicate area.... meanwhile slowly setting the gun down until I could put both hands to the task.

It does help to have the brain well trained to think "hot brass means gun stays pointing in a safe direction"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep

I just had my worst "hot brass" experience a few days ago. I have to thank multiple people that have warned me about hot brass, including Coach and Rhino. And I can kick myself because I was wearing a blouse in addition to a v-neck.... but forgot to button the top as I usually do. I've had hot brass that "bothered" before but this one was REALLY hot. It ended up taking off a bit of skin in a delicate area.

Anyway, I kept the gun pointing forward, one hand on it, swore profusely as I moved the shirt which just moved the brass to another delicate area.... meanwhile slowly setting the gun down until I could put both hands to the task.

It does help to have the brain well trained to think "hot brass means gun stays pointing in a safe direction"

Ouch! That's a lesson that learning the hard was is . . . painful!

I strongly urge you to take anti-brass-on-skin measures if you ever take a carbine class. When you're on a line with a bunch of other people and aren't the lucky one who got to the left end first, you're going to be showered in brass. This is especially true in the summer when perspiration makes the brass stick. The burns from AR and AK brass make 9mm seem like a pleasure in comparison. I need to find the photos for some burns I got in my first carbine class before I learned my lesson. I had a couple that went beyond the blister and actually had charred black margins. At least it didn't hurt where it was blackened. For a while.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yep

That always works for me.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Ouch! That's a lesson that learning the hard was is . . . painful!

I strongly urge you to take anti-brass-on-skin measures if you ever take a carbine class. When you're on a line with a bunch of other people and aren't the lucky one who got to the left end first, you're going to be showered in brass. This is especially true in the summer when perspiration makes the brass stick. The burns from AR and AK brass make 9mm seem like a pleasure in comparison. I need to find the photos for some burns I got in my first carbine class before I learned my lesson. I had a couple that went beyond the blister and actually had charred black margins. At least it didn't hurt where it was blackened. For a while.

Normally when I shoot (including a carbine class I took a couple of years ago) I wear long pants and a long-sleeved lightweight blouse/shirt. I wear a cap and I also just started adding side shields to my sunglasses. I don't know if you mean anything in addition to that?

This was just a combination of forgetting to button the shirt up and a moment of bad luck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Normally when I shoot (including a carbine class I took a couple of years ago) I wear long pants and a long-sleeved lightweight blouse/shirt. I wear a cap and I also just started adding side shields to my sunglasses. I don't know if you mean anything in addition to that?

This was just a combination of forgetting to button the shirt up and a moment of bad luck.

Sounds like you're squared-away! Carry on!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pistol brass sucks.

Rifle brass SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

I made a life long frienemy during my first trip through Louis Awerbuck's carbine class. He was to my right on my relay and I my rifle seemed to eject brass down his shirt way too often for it to have been a coincidence.

The worst burn I got was from a piece of 5.56 brass that made some kind of crazy bounce and got under the towel I was wearing around my neck to prevent brass from sticking on my neck. Finishing the drill, makining the rifle safe, and shedding the towel took just enough time for the brass to burn into my skin and so that the margins of the wound were curled up over the brass and it had the be removed with some force. Ahh, good times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Profuse swearing fixes nearly everything. Or at least you feel better.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Last week I had a piece of 40 brass land inside my shooting glasses, lodging on my lower eyelid. That was hot. Can’t imagine what 5.56 would feel like there. A hat will be in the range bag moving forward.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Last week I had a piece of 40 brass land inside my shooting glasses, lodging on my lower eyelid. That was hot. Can’t imagine what 5.56 would feel like there. A hat will be in the range bag moving forward.

I have some scars from 223 and 7.62 brass. It's not fun. Fourtunately I wasn't running the line but the worst hot brass injury that I know of with my agency was a SORT LT was shooting a multi weapons certification course (where 4 folks shoot in 2 pairs with shooting on the move etc) MP 5 and transition to Sig. Anywhoo brass from the MO 5 landed between glasses and sys sticking to his left eye. Unfortunately he lost the use of his eye.

One thing that I did see that made me change my shorts (and I'm bot the one it happened to) was a person got hot brass from a m 16. They turned around finger on trigger whole bad meal deal. My partner Instructor jumped while doing the splits (she had the rifle pointed right at him) and smacked the muzzle down between his legs where the weapon discharged between his legs. That was as close a call I have ever had.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Hot brass is a good training aid to overcome pain without panic!

The .50 BMG ejects brass and links downwards so if you are sitting in a vehicle when the gunner engages you get a shower of hot .50 brass!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    D'oh! Here we go.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom