• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Can't really go wrong with CZ 455 or 457. Bunch of aftermarket parts for them already, especially for the 455 since it has been out longer. I have gradually upgraded my $400 455 where only original part is the receiver and the bolt. Did I have to do that? nope, but it is fun to tinker and upgrades can be done overtime. I mean you really don't have to do anything to them besides a $12 spring kit from MCARBO to improve the trigger pull dramatically. New 457s are really nice and come with a trigger that you can adjust pull, creep and sear engagement on right out of the box. If you get an MTR model you are also getting a match chamber and barrel. Sure, MTR will run you closer to $600 but that is the rifle you can take and do some serious competition with right out of the box. My suggestion would be to get a cheap CZ 455 American (I think you can get them from Buds for around $350 or so) and you can always upgrade everything from their as you desire or get a CZ 457 AT-ONE or MTR edition for something more fancy out of the box. Both rifles offer good value and we see lots of them on our long range shoots. As far as Ruger goes, RPR is just not there for the money. Aftermarket is lacking and it just does not feel as tight and neat as other rifles. It looks cool, I'll give you that but I think it is a sub par option for the money. We don't shoot at 50 yards, closest we shoot it 110 and RPR's do ok but not great but that is also dependent on the shooter. I mean we had a guy come in who almost smoked the course with accurized 10/22. Also, used 455s are good to go since people seldom shoot them enough to really put any wear on them.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, it has arrived:

Tx1kZoOh.jpg

Pardon the poor picture. Looking forward to getting it to the range this weekend to sight it in... :rockwoot:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'll be testing a variety of ammo through it soon. I have some Federal Champion SV and some Federal Gold Medal Target. Hopefully it'll like one of those, or even CCI or Aguila SV :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll be testing a variety of ammo through it soon. I have some Federal Champion SV and some Federal Gold Medal Target. Hopefully it'll like one of those, or even CCI or Aguila SV :yesway:

Nice rifle, looks like a fun range toy! :thumbsup:
    I want reports: distance with pics! :coffee:
    Enjoy!!!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice rifle, looks like a fun range toy! :thumbsup:
    I want reports: distance with pics! :coffee:
    Enjoy!!!

Thank you sir. If things go well I'll be hitting MCF&G tomorrow morning and breaking it in. My hope is to sight it in at 25 yards and test a few different types of ammo through it and if all is well, try busting a few lollipops. If I have time, I'll then move it out to 50 yards and see how it goes at that distance. Not sure if the scope will have enough magnification for 50 yards, but we'll see.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thank you sir. If things go well I'll be hitting MCF&G tomorrow morning and breaking it in. My hope is to sight it in at 25 yards and test a few different types of ammo through it and if all is well, try busting a few lollipops. If I have time, I'll then move it out to 50 yards and see how it goes at that distance. Not sure if the scope will have enough magnification for 50 yards, but we'll see.

I truly look forward to hearing of your progress and learning form it.
    After graduation, I hope to do the same: finding an outdoor range to join, perhaps the MCF&G and tune my basic Ruger 1132.
    And, look forward to perhaps my next rifle purchase and repeating the process.
    You can't have just one flavor of rifle, can you? :dunno:
    Missed my chance with a Savage with a Boyd stock that could have been a great option with what I've learned that someone alerted me to on Armslist away from IN.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, the RART is definitely a shooter! Learned some things, due to some advice from some other fellas at the range. Also found that I was right about the magnification issue. I can shoot decently at 25 yards with the 3x9 scope on the RART, but not so great at 50 yards. I tested with mainly CCI SV and was able to dial in pretty quickly at 25 yards and my first group after getting the scope dialed in was ~ a quarter of an inch.

JwDvyvth.jpg

After shooting that group, I busted a lollipop with the first shot, then shot the stick with the second shot and a second lollipop with the 3rd shot. My groups at 25 yards were pretty good, but went to crap when I moved it to 50 yards. Of course, the wind also kicked up pretty badly after that as well. Even with Annie at 50 yards I didn't do any better than a .298 inch group. That was with SK Standard Plus, which it did great with today. Everything else I shot was worse this morning (CCI and Aguila SV, as well as some Federal GM Target). I have now decided I really need to get a 6x24 power scope. That and learn to shoot better... :):

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thank you. What I need to do with it is the same as with Annie, practice and get consistent. For every 1/4 inch group I achieve, I have 10 that are 1/2 inch or larger. Can usually bust lollipops pretty well though... :yesway:

It is a never ending pursuit.

I really should head to the range and sit with the Savage-Annie and see what it can actually do, on the other hand if I don’t know than I can’t regret letting it go. Lol

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It is a never ending pursuit.

I really should head to the range and sit with the Savage-Annie and see what it can actually do, on the other hand if I don’t know than I can’t regret letting it go. Lol

Very true, if you spend more time with it you might decide you can't part with it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nice shooting wtb.

I backed off a little and got a diamondback tactical 4-16x FFP for NRL22 type of shooting. I'm expecting to need the 4-5x for 25yd offhand shots. Mostly position shooting with very little bench work in the game to take advantage of 20x+. Hoping I don't regret going FFP as the reticle gets difficult to see at the lower powers on some backgrounds.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I swapped the 3-15 Razor over to her X-Ring today, we’ll see how happy she is that that one. If she isn’t, than I’ll probably look into the Hawke Endurance WA line.

Top Bottom