What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good grief. Does anyone read this before they pass it?

So I have to be a licensed hunter or fisherman to have a hatchet on my person or in my vehicle while on a camping trip?

So... like a socket wrench?

Careful there Ryan, I've seen your garage! You're up a creek, pal. You won't be able to take your tool box on your next Jeep trip.
    Man, I'm in trouble! Maybe I should CC my torque wrench?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Everybody is a know it all but the cop is full of BS? The copmost likely signed it out of evidence for the purposes of show and tell (figured most people knew that) You guys will lead this guy down the wrong path and into jail!! Slap jacks are illegal in many states. Go online and try to purchase one and see where they wont ship to. Another way is to simply pull up your states crime code. In Az its a violation under weapons misconduct.

I've got a better idea. Why don't you look up the Indiana criminal code and post the relevant statute for all of us?

Good luck finding it.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    From my reading of the indiana code this is my list:

Handgun (without permit)
    Machine gun (without stamp)
    Auto-open knife
    Sawed off shotgun
    Armor piercing - plastic coated bullets
    Chinese throwing stars
    Body armor (in the commision of a crime)

I was told by a local police officer that it was also illegal to have a "slap jack" or and brass knuckles in your possession. He even passed around slap jack that he took from someone. Do you know if what he said is true? Am I misreading the law? What other weapons are illegal?

Thanks guys!
    If you are willing to deal with a front stuffer there is an exception to the sawed off rule, sort of.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qg2AhdcmfE"]YouTube - Howdah Hunter 20 gauge, black powder pistol.avi[/ame]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why do we always have citations to other states in threads like this?

There must be some compulsion to drag the irrelevant into these discussions. I had no idea that we had so many prosecutors on INGO.

I need to expand Kirk's First Law to include all other states so that rhino will be liable for more cases of ammo.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Is that LEGAL? If so, why? I have no issue with muzzleloaders :D
    I assume so, since they sell them at Cabela's
    http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Davide-Pedersoli-Howdah-Pistol--740261.uts.shtml
    I think the reason they are legal is because they are a reproduction of a pre 1900 gun.
    The really cool thing is you don't even need a LTCH

Yea completely legal to carry, you don't even need a LTCH to carry one.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    aren't assisted opening knives illegal, or is that what you meant by auto opening, or did you just mean stiletto knives?

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Everybody is a know it all but the cop is full of BS? The copmost likely signed it out of evidence for the purposes of show and tell (figured most people knew that) You guys will lead this guy down the wrong path and into jail!! Slap jacks are illegal in many states. Go online and try to purchase one and see where they wont ship to. Another way is to simply pull up your states crime code. In Az its a violation under weapons misconduct.

IC 35-47-5
    Chapter 5. Prohibited Instruments of Violence
    You will not find Brass Knuckles or Slap Jacks.
    (Check your local city ordnances before running out and buying either one of these items)

Welcome to INDIANA

not Arizona.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    aren't assisted opening knives illegal, or is that what you meant by auto opening, or did you just mean stiletto knives?

A Stiletto is a fixed blade knife with a long slender blade. So why would it be not allowed?! You need to research your definitions a little bit...

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I assume so, since they sell them at Cabela's
    Davide Pedersoli Howdah Pistol, Pistols, Black Powder, Shooting : Cabelas.com
    I think the reason they are legal is because they are a reproduction of a pre 1900 gun.
    The really cool thing is you don't even need a LTCH

Now that is bi******! Talk about an OC extravaganza! :): I'll take one on each hip :laugh: Then again, if people are uncomfortable seeing a simple handgun carried in the open, God forbid they see two shotguns! I think the first person fainting would be somewhat humorous; the rest would get annoying. :D:D

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Now that is bi******! Talk about an OC extravaganza! :): I'll take one on each hip :laugh: Then again, if people are uncomfortable seeing a simple handgun carried in the open, God forbid they see two shotguns! I think the first person fainting would be somewhat humorous; the rest would get annoying. :D:D
    They are pretty awesome and I want one but the 20 ga version goes for $600. Middlesex Village Trading Company, on the other hand, sells a similar pistol for $350
    MVTCo Double Barrel Caplock Pistol

I would settle for one Howdah pistol with a 9mm auto as a backup! Best of both worlds!

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I checked the link on the post saying a stun gun is illegal w/o LTCH. Didn't make sense as LTCH only applies to the "H".

"Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun."

So per law, anyone 18 or over can carry a stun gun.

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    A Stiletto is a fixed blade knife with a long slender blade. So why would it be not allowed?! You need to research your definitions a little bit...

im not talking about the ones from the middle ages, modern stiletto knives have a push release button, so no i do not have to "research my definition". would you like a link?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Can you prove this?

Yeah. It's 35-47-5-12 (b)
    As used in this section,"Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife,Throwing-iron,or other Knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

Note that it doesn't say 'and' it says 'or' which means that a throwing-knife is illegal even if it doesn't have blades set at different angles.This has been proven in court upon many convictions for possession.

I,personally have never arrested anyone for it as I think it's stupid but if my superiors told me I had to enforce it...I would be obligated to do so.

Top Bottom