• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    STFU. This thread made me take an honest look at the yard.
    I need to clean up and nothing is ready to work. Especially me.
    I need a goat or some sheep.

I haven't mowed yet, but I thought about it yesterday. I always enjoy mowing for the first month of the season, then I get sick of doing it every week.

Same here. It's still too wet, but once it dries out I'll be on the ZTR for sure. Gonna be a long mowing season. :wallbash:

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Do you guys wear ear pro when you do it? I usually don't but I just thought that maybe I should.

Didn't when I was younger, but the past 5 years I have. When I had the kids start helping I have them wear it too. Really don't see a reason not to.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Mowed the back yard for the first time this season. Started with the idea that I'll just hit the high spots, but the grass was taller than I thought and it ended up being that all of it was a high spot.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Just knocked down the high spots as it was more of a shakedown cruise. Replaced blades(3), 2 pulleys, 1 spindle and deck belt. Also greased, changed oil and cleaned air filter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I haven't mowed yet. I was out with the dog earlier this week in the back part of the yard and noticed it was getting pretty tall. I figured I'd get the mower ready this weekend. Looks like it might be a rainout though.

Do you guys wear ear pro when you do it? I usually don't but I just thought that maybe I should.

Sometimes. But in the middle of summer when it's 95 out and I'm all sweaty, I don't.

I've got some head phones that I can plug my I-phone in and listen to The Gun Guy or one of my political and/or other gun podcasts.

If I wear ear-pro it's the Howard Light ear muffs. It has a mini-headphone jack I can plug my philone into, but the volume it produces isn't loud enough to hear over the mower. But wearing ear buds under the ear muffs seems to work well.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I broke down and did the back yard yesterday. The grass back there grows faster than my front yard. I figured with all the rain we're getting in the next 2 days that I'd regret not mowing.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I won't mow until sometime in May and will only mow about 4 times all summer. I don't mow until it gets about 8 inches tall. I hate mowing grass,....that's why I live in the woods, where grass grows really slow and I can mow what little grass I have over the septic field and around the fire pit in about 20 minutes. Plus, I have no neighbors who can see what little grass I have to complain. My wife insists I have become a wacko-environmentalist because I choose to have what I refer to as a "natural yard" now. I respond that she knows where the mower is at in the shed. My kids complain that I made them mow every week when they were around. I'm more into raising hostas and ferns anyway. You all can have mowing grass.

Dirty Steve

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I mowed last Friday for the first time after breaking the ole Cub Cadet out of hibernation. I put stabil in all my gas engine stuff before winter sets in an fog all the engines so that way everything starts up nice and easy for the following spring, with a quick charge on the battery she fired right up only to reveal a small hydraulic leak on the deck lift :(. Thankfully it was a quick fix and had it up and going. I'm really thinking this year or maybe next retiring the Cub and just getting a finish mower for my tractor, but we'll see as the Cub is getting up there in years...

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Any mower repair gurus in here? I've got a push mower and the pull cord to start it is really really tough. Blade spins freely when spun by hand. It was fired last winter when I put it away. Though maybe it was just cold but I've tried pulling it around 20 times and its still really tough, I feel like I've worn my shoulder out. The cord will pull all the way out but with how tough it is I can't get enough momentum to turn the engine over. Ideas?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Any mower repair gurus in here? I've got a push mower and the pull cord to start it is really really tough. Blade spins freely when spun by hand. It was fired last winter when I put it away. Though maybe it was just cold but I've tried pulling it around 20 times and its still really tough, I feel like I've worn my shoulder out. The cord will pull all the way out but with how tough it is I can't get enough momentum to turn the engine over. Ideas?

Self propelled? If so make sure the cable moves freely for that. Sounds like it's trying to turn the wheels too. (Cable keeps handle engaged)
    If not, remove the recoil and visually inspect. Could be mouse nest, broken spring, or just worn out.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Same here. It's still too wet, but once it dries out I'll be on the ZTR for sure. Gonna be a long mowing season. :wallbash:

Wasn't totally dry, but feared more rain coming so got it done this afternoon.

It's growing well and was pretty high in spots.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Mowed yesterday. Part of the yard needed it, but most didn't. Better to get an early start then to let the tall stuff get stupid and have to rake!!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Was out of town with work last week and returned to a mess of a yard. My chocolate labs looked like rabbits wading through the grass. I had to cut it three times to make it half way presentable. I guess that's what I get for putting weed and feed down a couple weeks ago. I needed to get it cut before any more rain moves in. My neighbors have the dandelion fields but mine is nice and dark green with few to none. And I didn't spend a small fortune to have my yard treated like they did.

Top Bottom