• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think it will run its course after enough people get infected and build up antibodies, leaving a smaller population to come in contact with. But I don't see a huge buffer next year.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    During the Spanish flu in 1918, it hit Indianapolis in September. It peaked in October. The quarantine was lifted too early and it peaked again in November. 3000 dead in their prime, those who couldn't stay put. Leaving behind 3000 orphaned children.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The president is on. Someone asked about a delay in test results. He said that's wrong information.

Indiana was promised 17 of the 15 minute test machines. We're getting 5, haven't got them yet. The disks that come with them will test 100 people. There's no time line for getting more disks that are ordered.

We have been way behind the curve since the start. Even the UAW ventilators won't get here in time.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Last week in New York, more people were admitted to the hospital for Coronavirus than the highest amount ever admitted for the flu by a factor of 5. Highly contagious, many more exposed, so many more fatalities.

I think it will run its course after enough people get infected and build up antibodies, leaving a smaller population to come in contact with. But I don't see a huge buffer next year.

Indiana wanted to buy more ventilators but they wouldn't be here in time for the surge.

During the Spanish flu in 1918, it hit Indianapolis in September. It peaked in October. The quarantine was lifted too early and it peaked again in November. 3000 dead in their prime, those who couldn't stay put. Leaving behind 3000 orphaned children.

The president is on. Someone asked about a delay in test results. He said that's wrong information.

Indiana was promised 17 of the 15 minute test machines. We're getting 5, haven't got them yet. The disks that come with them will test 100 people. There's no time line for getting more disks that are ordered.

We have been way behind the curve since the start. Even the UAW ventilators won't get here in time.

Can you please cite your source of this information? That's some crazy ***** you're putting out there! :dunno:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    1. News
    2. My informed opinion
    3. Lady in charge of Indiana Department of Health
    4. News
    5. Test machines, lady in charge of Indiana Department of Health

I post so others can make informed decisions, because I care. Not to start a debate. I don't have links but the information is solid. Feel free to fact check.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    1. News
    2. My informed opinion
    3. Lady in charge of Indiana Department of Health
    4. News
    5. Test machines, lady in charge of Indiana Department of Health

I post so others can make informed decisions, because I care. Not to start a debate. I don't have links but the information is solid. Feel free to fact check.

So 3000 people died in Indianapolis November 1918 all in their prime and the each had one child that then became orphaned. Sounds like good solid information to me. :ingo:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So 3000 people died in Indianapolis November 1918 all in their prime and the each had one child that then became orphaned. Sounds like good solid information to me. :ingo:

I fact checked that one for you. The news story was focused on Indianapolis. 3200 actually died in Indiana, not Indianapolis. I think the link says 3000, but they're rounding. 3000 orphans.

Or it was 3000 80 year olds with young children. I'll ask my 8 ball.

Big Naughty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Early January I was extremely concerned about the virus. I convinced my immediate family, a few army buddies and a few high school buddies to prepare. By the end of February I was convinced it was a hoax. I still knew once the general public got spooked thatnthe stores would be stripped clean. So I urged everyone to keep adding to their supplies.

As of today my sister is the only ine that still believes what the mainstream media is selling. The rest of the people I talk to are trying to figure out their next move. Bill Gates has been somewhat candid. It seems he wants us all vacinnated and marked before we are allowed to hold mass gatherings again. Regarding Bill Gates I advise those interested to look into Event 201. This was held just weeks before the first reported case in Wuhan.

Lewrockwell.com has been doing an excellent job putting together the pieces of the puzzle.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I fact checked that one for you. The news story was focused on Indianapolis. 3200 actually died in Indiana, not Indianapolis. I think the link says 3000, but they're rounding. 3000 orphans.

Or it was 3000 80 year olds with young children. I'll ask my 8 ball.

My wife just told me that the Indiana Governor is closing down all the interstates around Indy because people won't stay home. I know it's true because she read it on the Facebook. As we know some interstates are being closed for construction but that is nothing like what she read. I'm mostly messing with you so carry on :ingo:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It hit Ft Benjamin first with WWI soldiers coming back and being hospitalized there. Because it was some distance from Indianapolis then, it got to Indianapolis 2 weeks later, carried in by nurses, food service, and vendors.

As I said up thread, I'm not even going to the store.

If I remember when you joined, you're from Lamar. I'm from Jasper and my girlfriend at the time lived in Lamar. You'll probably do fine. I'm in Marion county where the brunt is. Anyone is free to make their own decisions on keeping their family safe. If the news says what the risks are and I post it, you can ignore the risks or debate it but to me I post out of concern. A lot of younger people can't sit still for 5 minutes and choose to ignore the risks. Maybe this is food for thought. Be helpful and leave it as it is. If I repeat anything from the local news or the Governor, anybody feel free to fact check it until it meets your needs to have it your way. I'm just trying to help out.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My wife just told me that the Indiana Governor is closing down all the interstates around Indy because people won't stay home. I know it's true because she read it on the Facebook. As we know some interstates are being closed for construction but that is nothing like what she read. I'm mostly messing with you so carry on :ingo:

:thumbsup:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

https://blog.history.in.gov/tag/spanish-flu/

I'm reading this as ca. 3000 dead total, not just in November 1918, but that can't be right.

However another blog notes:

The same newspapers that carried questions about the actual risk of the flu also carried stories that indicated that of the more than 3,200 deaths statewide in less than two months, more than half of the affected were between the ages of twenty and forty, resulting in more than 3,000 Indiana children being made orphans.

And claims about 14,000 dead in 1918 statewide. Typical when dealing with second- or third-hand information. If someone is citing these numbers in the press today, I'm guessing they simply went to blogs or secondary sources for some numbers. Which are only as accurate as the original research into the issue.

Another source indicated 10,000 total. If 3000 perished in one month alone in Indy, one would expect a higher total for the State for the two-year span.

Here someone in Allen County actually went through death certificates from 1918 to 1920, incl. names, ages, addresses and date of death. That's one of the best ways to do it. Now for the other 91.
    https://www.acgsi.org/vital/influenz.php

I would want to see the actual State Board of Health figures rather than blogs reporting based on reading newspaper headlines from the time. It's not like no one was keeping records.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    https://blog.history.in.gov/tag/spanish-flu/

I'm reading this as ca. 3000 dead total, not just in November 1918, but that can't be right.

However another blog notes:

And claims about 14,000 dead in 1918 statewide. Typical when dealing with second- or third-hand information. If someone is citing these numbers in the press today, I'm guessing they simply went to blogs or secondary sources for some numbers. Which are only as accurate as the original research into the issue.

Another source indicated 10,000 total. If 3000 perished in one month alone in Indy, one would expect a higher total for the State for the two-year span.

Here someone in Allen County actually went through death certificates from 1918 to 1920, incl. names, ages, addresses and date of death. That's one of the best ways to do it. Now for the other 91.
    https://www.acgsi.org/vital/influenz.php

I would want to see the actual State Board of Health figures rather than blogs reporting based on reading newspaper headlines from the time. It's not like no one was keeping records.

I read quite a bit on this today as well. Probably some of the same articles as you. It did't sound like we were very well equipped to handle such a crisis in 1918. Thank goodness we're better equipped now and surely be even better for the next one.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'll play the devil's advocate here.

If the government does nothing and a couple million people die, what would the general public think?

If the government decides to contain and stop the virus, but it sacrifices the economy, and only tens of thousands die, what would the general public think?

How do you make this choice in a reasonable manner that both adheres to our founding principles and doesn't fold us up into anarchy?

It seems pretty clear to me that they're fully aware of all of these factors and are trying to walk the tight rope as best as they can. While the virus its self may not be that big of a deal, its infectivity is a big deal. The only thing I'm growing increasingly angry about is that we should have already been bombing the bio lab in Wuhan for this, instead nothing is even being discussed.

Still waiting for someone skeptical of the government making an attempt to contain the spread to tell me how you balance what I said above in a way that is acceptable...

It's easy to be skeptical of the response when you don't have to give a better solution.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    It hit Ft Benjamin first with WWI soldiers coming back and being hospitalized there. Because it was some distance from Indianapolis then, it got to Indianapolis 2 weeks later, carried in by nurses, food service, and vendors.

As I said up thread, I'm not even going to the store.

If I remember when you joined, you're from Lamar. I'm from Jasper and my girlfriend at the time lived in Lamar. You'll probably do fine. I'm in Marion county where the brunt is. Anyone is free to make their own decisions on keeping their family safe. If the news says what the risks are and I post it, you can ignore the risks or debate it but to me I post out of concern. A lot of younger people can't sit still for 5 minutes and choose to ignore the risks. Maybe this is food for thought. Be helpful and leave it as it is. If I repeat anything from the local news or the Governor, anybody feel free to fact check it until it meets your needs to have it your way. I'm just trying to help out.

I actually live in Santa Claus but I could throw a rock and have a good chance of hitting one of the 23 residents of Lamar.:rockwoot: The wife and i have been shopping locally (only when necessary) and taking recommended measures. Staying away from the larger more populated towns. If i was in Marion county I'd be hunkered down till this blows over. :ingo:

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I read quite a bit on this today as well. Probably some of the same articles as you. It did't sound like we were very well equipped to handle such a crisis in 1918. Thank goodness we're better equipped now and surely be even better for the next one.

We're better equipped but I'm sure modern air travel had a HUGE effect on our outcome.
    Ever seen those air travel world maps online? Main ingredient for spreading a virus.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Still waiting for someone skeptical of the government making an attempt to contain the spread to tell me how you balance what I said above in a way that is acceptable...

It's easy to be skeptical of the response when you don't have to give a better solution.

I think if this wasn't an election year things would have been handled differently. Three years ago I think we would have been a little more hesitant to shut down the country.

Top Bottom